|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1822 Petrie, G.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 23, seen `by Dr. Petrie, at Clonmacnois in 1822'.|
Recorded as still on site in Macalister/1949, 47.
|Dimensions:||0.56 x 0.37 x 0.05 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
|Condition:||incomplete , good|
The top-left quadrant of the cross is lost completely, as is much of the top right quadrant. What survives, however, seems to be in quite good condition.
|Crosses:||1: equal-armed; outline; straight; plain; circular; angular; inner curv; none; decorated|
|Decorations:||geometric key pattern|
Macalister/1909, 14: `A four-line cross with invecked angles, the intersection surrounded by a circle enclosing voided spaces containing pellets, all within a Greek fret margin. A cross pattee containing a lozenge enclosing a pellet on the intersection of the cross.'
Petrie1872, 23: `a highly decorated cross within a parallelogram; a border composed of the gammadion or Greek pattern surrounds it'.
|Petrie, G. (1822):||TUATHGAL|
Macalister/1909 14 reading only
Macalister/1949 47 reading only
Petrie/1872 23 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; below cross ; separated|
The inscription is below the cross and outside the margins.
|Date:||810 - 811 (Lionard/1961)|
|Palaeography:||CISP: The inscription is in half-uncial. The script is particularly rounded and well executed. The letters ATHGA are all joined by a cross-stroke, but it is uncertain whether the AT and GA joins should be seen as ligatured. The A's are in the `OC' form.|
The inscription is clear.
Lionard/1961, 160, identifies the commemorand as the abbot.