|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1845 Petrie, G.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 53: `already published by Dr. Petrie, in his Ecclesiastical Architecture, p. 339, [Petrie/1845] where he describes it as a quern, or hand millstone, afterwards used as a tombstone in the cemetery of Clonmacnois. It now forms part of the Petrie collection deposited in the Museum of the Royal Irish Academy'.|
Macalister/1949, 70, states that the stone was now 'in the National Museum'.
|Dimensions:||0.36 x 0.36 x 0.06 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
|Location:||National Museum, Dublin (Cat: n/a)|
Macalister/1949, 70, the National Museum, Dublin.
Macalister/1949, 70, argues that this is a re-used upper-quern stone.
|Condition:||complete , inc|
|Crosses:||1: latin; linear; straight; expanded; plain; none; none; tenon; n/a|
Macalister/1949, 70, `bearing ornamental devices'.
|Petrie, G. (1845):||SECHNAS | ACH|
Petrie/1845 339 reading only
Petrie/1872 Fig. 113 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||SECHNAS | ACH|
Lionard/1961 157 reading only
Macalister/1949 70 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; above cross ; other|
|Date:||709 - 712 (Lionard/1961)|
|Language:||name only (rbook)|
|Palaeography:||CISP: The lettering is Insular half-uncial. The A's are in the 'OC' form and the large initial majuuscule S appears to have wedge-shaped finials. The closed minuscule E has an angular bow. In two cases the letters C and minuscule H are conjoined. In the first instance the upper-most stroke of the H appears to rise out of the centre of the curved cross-bar.|