|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1822 Petrie, G.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 69: `the stone has disappeared...Drawn by Dr. Petrie at Clonmacnois, in the year 1822'.|
Macalister/1899, 116, Macalister/1909, 47, and Macalister/1949, 64, also record the stone as lost.
|Dimensions:||0.0 x 0.0 x 0.0 (Unknown)|
|Setting:||Lost (present 1822, missing 1872)|
|Location:||Petrie/1872, 69, states that the stone was drawn in 1822, but lost by 1872.|
Petrie/1872, 69, Macalister/1899, 116, Macalister/1909, 47, and Macalister/1949, 64, all record the stone as lost.
|Condition:||frgmntry , some|
|Crosses:||1: inc; outline; straight; ind; ind; ind; none; none; decorated|
Petrie/1872, 69: `The design upon this stone is quite peculiar, as it does not occur again in any other stone as yet discovered in Ireland; but it is found on the bases of the shrines of St,. Maedog and St. Molaise, on the side of the box of the Stowe Missal, and on the back of the shrine of St. Patrick's bell; all of which date from the tenth to the twelfth century. We may then presume that the stone belongs to the same period'.
Macalister/1909, 47: `A square containing a remarkable diaper of small crosses'.
|Petrie, G. (1822):||TIRUCIST|
Macalister/1909 47 listing
Macalister/1949 64 listing
Petrie/1872 69 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1909):||TINUCIST|
Macalister/1909 47 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1949):||TI[N^R]UCIST|
Macalister/1949 64 reading only
|Position:||inc ; broad ; on cross ; panel|
The inscription sits at the terminal end of the cross arm, within a panel.
|Date:||900 - 1100 (Petrie/1872)|
|Language:||name only (rbook)|
|Palaeography:||CISP: The lettering is Insular half-uncial. The initial T, the third letter and the U appear to have wedge-shaped finials. The Ts have curved ascenders with flat top-strokes. The S is half-uncial. The right descender of the U continues below the base of the letter. The third letter is either a half-uncial R or N.|