|Discovery:||in/on structure, 1869 Graves, J.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 17: `The small stone..is built into the wall of Temple Dowling, at Clonmacnois...Drawn by M[argaret]. S[tokes]., from a rubbing made...by the Rev. James Graves and Mr Williams M. Hennessy, in the year 1869'.|
Macalister/1899, 116; Macalister/1909, 42, and Macalister/1949, 60, all state that the stone could not be found.
|Dimensions:||0.0 x 0.0 x 0.0 (Unknown)|
|Setting:||Lost (present 1869, missing 1899)|
|Location:||Petrie/1872, 17, states that a rubbing was made in 1869, however Macalister/1899, 116, records the stone as lost.
Macalister/1949, 60, confirms this.|
|Condition:||frgmntry , inc|
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Graves, J. (1869):||--]ODITHRAI[D]|
[OR D]O DITHRAID
Macalister/1909 42 reading only
Macalister/1949 60 reading only
Petrie/1872 17 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; n/a ; undecorated|
|Palaeography:||CISP: The lettering is Insular half-uncial. The A is in the 'OC' form and the D, T and H have wedge-shaped finials. The D has an ascender which bends to the left over an open bow, the T is half-uncial with a curved ascender and a flat top-stroke. The H is minuscule, with the R is majuscule, with a closed bow.|