|Discovery:||non-arch dig, 1868 Graves, J.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 53: `This tombstone was found buried in the churchyard of the Relig-na-Cailleach, now called the Nunnery Church at Clonmacnois, in 1868, by the Rev. James Graves. It was first read and identified by the Rev. Dr. Todd'.|
Macalister/1909, 35, records the stone as still on site and states that if the stone was discovered `in the cemetery of the Nun's Church...it is the only slab recorded from that graveyard'.
|Dimensions:||0.74 x 0.53 x 0.05 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
|Condition:||complete , good|
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; half-round; circular; none; inner curv; half-round; decorated|
|Decorations:||geometric key pattern|
Macalister/1909, 35: `A three-line cross with circular expansion and looped terminals, all containing key-patterns except the base, which has been left blank, possibly through inadvertence'.
|Graves, J. (1872):||O~R~ || DOUALLAIG|
OROIT DO UALLAIG
Pray for Uallach (PN).
Macalister/1909 35 reading only
Macalister/1949 57 reading only
Petrie/1872 53 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; within quadrants ; separated|
The inscription is running downwards within the two left-hand quadrants.
|Date:||932 - 934 (Lionard/1961)|
932 - 932 (Petrie/1872)
|Palaeography:||CISP: The inscription is in half-uncial. The initial OR has a contraction mark over it; the O's taper downward to a point; the R is majuscule with an open bow; the D has an ascender which bends to the right over an open and pointed bow; the U is flat-bottomed; the A's are in the `OC' form; the L's are curved and the G is minuscule.|
Lionard/1961, 164, accepts this identification.