|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1822 Petrie, G.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 60: `Drawn by Dr. Petrie at Clonmacnois in 1822'.|
Macalister/1909, 32, argues that the stone had been substantially damaged since Petrie saw it.
Macalister/1949, 55, records the stone as still on site.
|Dimensions:||0.58 x 0.51 x 0.05 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
|Condition:||incomplete , good|
The lower left quadrant is the only one still intact. The upper right is completely lost, while only small portions of the upper left and lower right remain.
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; other; circular; none; inner curv; none; decorated|
|Decorations:||geometric key pattern; geometric other|
Macalister/1909, 32: `three line cross...the centre contains a knot and the [triangular] terminals a well-drawn key-pattern'.
Macalister/1949, 55: `Cross with triangular expansions at the ends containing a hybrid key-and-interlacing rectilinear pattern, and in the centre an ordinary fret'.
|Petrie, G. (1822):||O~R~ D || OMAELFIN | NIA|
OROIT DO MAELFINNIA
Pray for Maelfinnia (PN).
Petrie/1872 60 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1909):||[O~R~ D || O MA]ELFIN | [NI]A|
[OROIT DO MA]ELFIN[NI]A
Macalister/1909 32 reading only
Macalister/1949 55 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; within quadrants ; separated|
The inscription is in two lines running down through the two quadrants.
|Date:||991 - 992 (Petrie/1872)|
992 - 1056 (Lionard/1961)
|Palaeography:||CISP: The inscription is in half-uncial. The initial OR has a contraction mark over it; the R's are majuscule; the D is closed-bowed; the 1st A is in the `OC' form; the E is closed; the L has a wedge-shaped finial atop its ascender and the F is half-uncial.|
Of the letters which survive the two on the extreme left are fragmentary.
Lionard/1961, 166, partially accepts this identification, but suggests another possibility might be the Maolfinden, who is recorded as dying in the Annals of the Four Masters under the year AD 1056.