|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1869 Graves, J.|
|History:||Petrie/1872, 67: `Drawn by M[argaret].S[tokes]., from a rubbing of the stone taken by the Rev. James Graves in 1869'.|
Macalister/1949, 55, records the stone as still on site.
|Dimensions:||0.48 x 0.51 x 0.0688 (converted from Macalister/1949)|
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
Macalister/1909, 30: `the top of the stone has gone'.
|Crosses:||1: latin; outline; straight; half-round; circular; none; inner curv; ind; decorated|
Macalister/1909, 30: `a curious cross, in which the stem is two-line, the arms four-line, and the circular central expansion three-line...There is a triskellion on the intersection'.
|Petrie, G. (1869):||[......] || ELCHIARAN|
[OROIT DO MA]ELCHIARAN
Petrie/1872 66 reading only
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1909):||--] || ELCHIARAN|
Macalister/1909 30 reading only
Macalister/1949 55 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; within quadrants ; quadrant|
The inscription as it now survives is in one line running down the stone in the lower right quadrant.
|Date:||1079 - 1101 (Lionard/1961)|
1079 - 1079 (Petrie/1872)
|Language:||name only (rbook)|
|Palaeography:||CISP: The inscription is in half-uncial. The E is three-pronged; the R is majuscule and the top of the L has a wedge-shaped finial.|
Lionard/1961, 167 partially accepts this identification, but suggests another candidate who is recorded as dying in 1101.