|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1874 inc|
|History:||Collingwood/Wright/1965, 264: `found in 1874...now at Brougham Castle in the wall of an outbuilding'.|
|Dimensions:||1.12 x 0.58 x 0.0 (converted from Collingwood and Wright)|
|Location:||Brougham site Museum.|
Tomlin/1995, 773: `now in the site museum' at Brougham.
Since the stone is built into a wall it is uncertain how deep the stone is. No decision, therefore, has been made as to whether it is either a pillar slab (flat), or a pillar stone (squarish).
|Condition:||incomplete , good|
The top right hand corner of the stone is broken, and it is also uncertain how much, if any, of the inscription there may have been above the current text. The stone also tapers inwards at the bottom left-hand side.
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Collingwood, R.G. (1929):||PLUMA[E] | LUNARI[S] | TITULOPOS | CONIUGI | C/ARISI | M|
PLUMAE(PN) | LUNARIS(PN) | TITULO POSUIT | CONIUGI | CARISI | M
To Pluma (PN), his beloved wife, Lunaris (PN) set this up as a memorial.
Collingwood/Wright/1965 264 reading only
|Tomlin, R. (1995):||PLUM[AE] | LUNARI[S] | TITULOPOS | CONIUGI | CARISI | M |
Tomlin/1995 773 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; n/a ; undecorated|
The text begins at the very top of the surviving stone, and leaves a large space empty at the bottom of the face.
|Date:||400 - 599 (Dark/Dark/1996)|
|Ling. Notes:||In the word carisim(ae), only one S has been carved, a spelling often found in late Roman sources, and in early medieval Insular texts.|
|Palaeography:||The text is in Roman capitals, with the interesting ligature of C/A. A number of letters are also conjoined, such as TUL, IU and GI. The O in titulo is very small and placed above the cross stroke of the preceding L, rather than on the base-line. The Ps have small strokes to the left from the top of the ascender, while the As, the Ms and one of the Ns all have the right stroke extending upwards beyond the left stroke when they join at an angle. The last S leans to the right.|
The text that survives is clear.