|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1939 Radford, C.A.R.|
|History:||Forsyth/1996, 74--75, discusses the confused early history of this stone. It seems to have been found before the Second World War, but not mentioned in print until 1962 when Ralegh Radford stated it was `picked up on the beach below the Brough'. Oliver Padel (the last scholar to have seen the stone) thought it was water worn, suggesting that it may have lain on beach for some time. In 1971 the stone was in Edinburgh at the headquarters of the Department of Environment. It has since been lost.|
|Geology:||Forsyth/1996, 82: `local flagstone'.|
|Dimensions:||0.37 x 0.24 x 0.05 (converted from Forsyth/1996)|
|Setting:||Lost (present 1971, missing 1996)|
|Location:||Forsyth/1996, 75, noted that BIRSY/1 and BIRSY/2 both disappeared whilst in the care of the Department of the Environment. |
Forsyth/1996, 81, cites Padel that this is a `very irregular slab'.
|Condition:||complete , some|
Forsyth/1996, 81--82: `Badly weathered'.
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Forsyth, K.S. (1996):||-][B^A^M][A]QI:[T]A[B^A^M][-|
Forsyth/1996 82--84 substantial discussion
|Position:||inc ; narrow ; inc ; undivided|
Forsyth/1996, 81--82: `on its flat surface a weathered fragment of ogham text'.
|Palaeography:||Forsyth/1996, 84--85: `...since the extant inscription is so short, there is little to say about the form of the script other than it is...broadly similar to that of Birsay 1 [BIRSY/ 1]'.|
Forsyth/1996, 82: `The scale of the letters and the reading, as best as can be discerned, imply that this is only a short section of a longer text'.