|Name:||Mains farm (n/a)||CISP No:||WHIT2|
|Place:||Whithorn||Grid Ref:||NX 4460 3950 (GB)|
|County:||Wigtownshire , Scotland||Saint(s):||Peter|
|Site Type:||landscape setting|
The precise location is unknown but appears to be near High Mains and Low Mains farms (NGR 2446 5395 and 2447 5390 respectively). See Craig/1997 for a detailed discussion of the antiquarian evidence.
Craig/1997, 616: `It is possible, as implied in the earliest accounts, that the stone initially stood by the old road to the Isle of Whithorn, which ran S.E. from Whithorn Priory and lay to the N.E. of High and Low Mains farms. It survives as a street in Whithorn itself called the King's Road, and a footpath across the fields still marked on recent OS maps. The buildings identified as possibly the 1782 `Mains' farm lie adjacent to it. This road appears to have gone out of use before the first edition of the OS map in 1850, being supplanted by the road running farther south.... Radford suggested that the stone marked the site of an early oratory, or even the boundary of Whithorn monastery [Radford/1957, 178--80; Radford/Donaldson/1957, 8; /1984, 4]; but it is perhaps more likely that it stood in a cemetery of dug or stone-built graves'.