|Place:||Spittal||Grid Ref:||SM 9758 2291 (GB)|
|County:||Pembrokeshire (Penfro) , Wales||Saint(s):||none|
Westwood/1879, 109: `Spittal derives its name from an hospitium now demolished but once standing on the ancient road from Carmarthen and Whitlands to St. David's; several roads also cross each other in the centre of the village, one of which may be part of the Roman road; another road near the church still bears the appellation of the `Pilgrim's Lane'. The stone itself may be referred to the fifth or sixth century'.
Anon/1883, 339: `Spittal, once a hospice belonging to the Knights Commanders of Slebech, to whom it was granted, together with Rudbaxton Church, by Alexander Rudebac, another of the Norman retainers, shows but little evidence of its former importance. A small enclosure within walls about 10 feet high, now used for farmyard purposes, with a few indications of other walls, some of which were pulled down fourteen years ago to build the adjoining house, is all that remains of the hospice. The church, however, has more of interest'.
Anon/1898, 281: `The church is of insignificant size and of no special interest'.
RCAHMW/1925, 385: `This small building consists simply of chancel and nave; it was restored in 1861 and 1898. On either side of the chancel arch is a squint; that on the north being 4 feet by 1 1/4 feet and its fellow 3 1/4 feet by 1 1/4 feet, narrowing eastwards to 1 1/2 feet by 8 inches. In the south chancel wall is a low recess, which may have been an Easter sepulchre, or have contained a tomb. The font bowl is of square Norman type with the usual scalloped sides...Surmounting the west gable is a double bell-cote, and at the junction of the chancel and nave is a single bell-cote, known locally as the priest's bell'.