|Name:||Roscrea (Ros Cré)||CISP No:||ROSCR|
|Place:||Roscrea (Ros Cré)||Grid Ref:||S 138 893 (IR)|
|County:||Tipperary (Tiobraid Árann) , Ireland||Saint(s):||Crónán|
Petrie/1878, 38--39: `Roscrea is situated in the barony of Ikerrin, in the county of Tipperary. The old name of this place was Ross Cre, or `the wooded point of Cre'...In the Life of St Cronan it is stated that he transferred his abode hither from the Cella Saan-ross, which he had founded...St. Cronan, son of Odran, who died between the years 600 and 620 built a monastery here...He is thus commemorated in the Calendar of Oengus, at April 28:--
Cristifer la Cronan Christopher with Cronan
Ruiss Chree co talci Of Roscrea, with strength
The modern church, which is dedicated to St Cronan, stands near the site of the ancient abbey, of which the only remains are the west front'.
Okasha/Forsyth/2001, 219: `Roscrea was one of the principal churches of Éile, occupying a pivotal position on the northern borders of Munster. According to tradition, its founder was Crónán son of Silne whose death is recorded s.a. 665 (Annals of Ulster), but little is known of the church's early history. The famous mid-eighth-century gospel-book known as the Book of Dimma, TCD MS 59 (A.4.23), was held to have been written there and was regarded as a relic od Crónán when it was enshrined at Roscrea in the twelfth century .. The Annals of Ulster and the Annals of the Four Masters record the succession of abbots at Roscrea from about 800 to 1154. From 1152 to 1161 the site enjoyed a brief period as the seat of the independent bishpric of Éile and Roscrea, before returning to the Diocese of Killaloe. To this mid-twelfth-century period are attributed a number of cultural achievements at Roscrea, including the composition of a Latin Life of Crónán, the enshrining of the Book of Dimma and the building of an impressive Romanesque church on the site of the earlier monastery. All that remains of the latter are the west gable and a portion of the nave which now form the entrance to the churchyard. There is also a twelfth-century cross to the north of the church and a round tower nearby ... Other relics of the early Christian period from the area are the late eighth century 'Roscrea pillar' ... and the mid-to-late ninth-century 'Roscrea brooch' now in the NMI'.