|Name:||Redgate [Also: St Cleer]||CISP No:||REDGT|
|Place:||Redgate||Grid Ref:||SX 2361 6883 (GB)|
|County:||Cornwall (Kernow) , England||Saint(s):||none|
|Site Type:||landscape setting|
Okasha/1993, 213, `The stone now stands...in a grass enclosure in a field; this field is on the left-hand side of the unclassified road from St Cleer to Redgate, about 1.5 km from St Cleer....The stone has always stood in the same field as it stands today. ...Around 1680...some tin miners, looking for treasure, dug around the stone and found underground a `spacious Vault, wall'd about and arch'd over with Stones, having on the Sides thereof two Stone Seats'...In 1932 further excavations were conducted...it is possible, however, that the chamber was dug between 1600 and 1680'.