|Name:||Martigné-Ferchaud (Marzhinieg)||CISP No:||MARTF|
|Place:||Martigné-Ferchaud (Marzhinieg)||Grid Ref:||326.55 2320.9 (FR)|
|County:||Ille-et-Vilaine , France||Saint(s):||Symphorien|
Davies et al/2000, 280--281: `Martigné-Ferchaud is a town situated on the southern border of the département of Ille-et-Vilaine, below the centre of the eastern edge of Brittany, 40km south east of Rennes and 20km south of the cemetery at Bais [see BAIS]. It lies on the river Semnon, at 93m above sea level, in a hilly landscape, in the good agricultural land of the Rennes basin; the bedrock is a sandy siltstone.
In 1060 there were two churches in Martigné-Ferchaud, Saint-Pierre and Saint-Symphorien, both dependent on the monastery of Marmoutiers. Saint-Pierre became the parish church in 1721, and Saint-Symphorien remained a priory. The ancien cadastre of 1829 clearly shows two adjacent churches: the parish church, which is focal to the settlement of this small town, and another to the south at right angles to it (ADIetV 3P 5396 Martigné-Ferchaud section F4). The cemetery from which the inscribed slate came lay beside the latter.'