|Name:||Loughor (Casllwchwr)||CISP No:||LOUGH|
|Place:||Loughor (Casllwchwr)||Grid Ref:||SS 5753 9816 (GB)|
|County:||Glamorgan (Morgannwg) , Wales||Saint(s):||none|
|Site Type:||modern secondary|
Westwood/1879, 39: `Loughor, the mediaeval Castell Llychwr, stands on the extreme western boundary of the county of Glamorgan, where the river of that name, coming down from the hills near Llandeilofawr, divides it from the county of Caermarthen. Just where the present decayed town stands near the stream, or rather on the sandy and marshy ground south of it, was the Roman station of Leucarum, and coins, pottery, and other traces of a Roman station have been found here, and tradition points to the site of part of it as just opposite the modern railway station. A small hill rises here immediately from the water's edge, and on it are the earth-works and a square tower of the Norman castle, as well as the parish church, the former having probably been erected with its mound in the strongest part of the station'.
Macalister/1945, 382: `At this place there is the site of a Roman settlement, and presumably this altar had been the domestic cult-object of one of its inhabitants before its appropriation as a tombstone'.