|Name:||Llannor, Pempris Farm [Also: Beudy'r Mynydd ; Pempris ; Pemprys]||CISP No:||LLNR3|
|Place:||Tirgwyn||Grid Ref:||SH 3438 3920 (GB)|
|County:||Caernarvonshire (Caernarfon) , Wales||Saint(s):||none|
RCAHMW/1964, 82: `in Cae Maen Hir, about 150 yds. N. of Tirgwyn. They formed the sides of a grave aligned N.--S., containing the `bones of a large man, the feet to the south; there was a headstone and a footstone, and the whole covered by two slabs'. The stones were left exposed until 1856 when, `owing to the pulling down of an old cottage near which they lay', (Beudy'rmynydd, SH 344339008), `they were buried by the farm tenant...at the time of moving there was found a skeleton which measured more than seven feet in length. Almost immediately on exposure to the air it crumbled into dust; but one or two vertebrae being still hard were preserved by the farmer'. The stones were unearthed in 1876, and after examination by Sir John Rhys were reburied until 1895, when `a gentleman dug them up, together with the covering slab, from a position in the field thirty paces from the maenhir in a south-westerly direction'. The inscribed stones were sent to Oxford, where they are now in the Ashmolean Museum, and the covering slab to Boduan Hall (No. 1523). Before and after 1895 the tenant had come across similar covering slabs quite near the surface, which had not been disturbed'.
The field contains a further two standing stones (Meini-h๎rion), and Parry/Westwood/1847, 201, suggests that the ground may have been consecrated for burial by the Druids.
See also Breese/1925 for further discussion of the site.