|Place:||inc||Grid Ref:||W 283 893 (IR)|
|County:||Cork (Corcaigh) , Ireland||Saint(s):||none|
Power et al/1997, 229, No. 8468: `Ringfort In pasture, on edge of steep natural slope down to flat marshy land bordering Tanyard stream. Depicted as roughly circular enclosure (diam. c. 30m) on 1842, 1904 and 1936 OS maps. Bulldozed in 1960s leaving short section of bank to E and SE. Excavated by B. O. Donnabháin (forthcoming) after discovery of souterrain (8912) containing ogham stones (7976 [LHANE/1], 7977 [LHANE/2]) at centre during gravel quarrying in 1981. Preliminary account of first season's excavations published by O Donnabháin (1983, 217). Bank (H 1.3m) survived on E side for c. 10m, incorporated into field-fence system; stone kerb (one course) on internal side; external fosse (original Wth 3m; D 2m). From landowner's description prior to destruction of site it appears likely that natural drop on N side may have functioned as defence here. Entrance to SE with causeway (Wth 5m). Interior disturbed by bulldozing activity in 1960s and before that by lazy-bed cultivation; foundations of circular structure (diam. 4m) uncovered. Finds included yellow glass bead with herring bone design, rotary hone-stone and William and Mary penny. Urn burial (7899) found during excavation in 1984'.
Power et al/1997, 281, No. 8912: `Souterrain In centre of ringfort (8468). Excavated by B. O Donnabháin over three seasons from 1982--4. Large stone-built gallery (L 24.55m) roofed with stone lintels; two 90° turns and one U-shaped turn divide the gallery into four sections; there are no chambers per se. Section 1: entrance passage (L 4.8m; Wth 0.45--0.6m), immediately below modern ground level. U-shaped creepway (Wth 0.5m; H 0.5m) connected sections 1 and 2. Section 2: (L. 6.15m) sloped steeply downwards. A 90° turn separated segments 2 and 3. Section 3: (L 5.9m; Wth 1.25m; H 1.4m) level; stone-built air-vent at roof level. Another 90° turn separated sections 3 and 4. Section 4: (L 7.65m; Wth 1.3m; H 1.35m--1.45m), also level; air vent at roof level; stone-lined drain runs 11m from end of chamber, exiting outside site to N. Construction trench averaged 2.2m wide and up to 3.5m below modern ground level; charcoal from trench yielded radiocarbon dates that centre on 6th century AD. Two lintels, both from section 2, were ogham inscribed'.