|Name:||Llandough (Llandochau)||CISP No:||LDOUG|
|Place:||Llandough (Llandochau)||Grid Ref:||ST 1679 7325 (GB)|
|Parish:||Llandough, Cogan and Leckwith (Llandochau, Cogan a Lecwydd)||Stones:||1|
|County:||Glamorgan (Morgannwg) , Wales||Saint(s):||Dochdwy|
Allen/1904, 247: `The village of Llandough (pronounced Llandorf) is situated three miles south-west of Cardiff'.
Not far from from the site of the cross and church, a major late Roman/Medieval cemetery has been excavated, in 1990, from which 858 burials were recovered. Radiocarbon dates of A.D. 535, 840 and 880 (Stuiver calibration) have been obtained. Earlier excavations by Alcock suggested an early medieval workshop nearby, while material in the Book of Llandaff refers to a monastery at Llandough from at least the 8th to 11th century (CurrArch/1996, 73--77). Davies/1982, 189--190: [At] Llandough … burials were found very near the Roman villa and the medieval church … radiocarbon analysis indicates dates for burials centering … on the eighth century at Llandough'. Also see fig. 64 for plan of the site at Llandough.