|Name:||Llanaelhaiarn [Also: Gardd Sart ; Llanelhaiarn ; Llanhaiarn]||CISP No:||LAEL2|
|Place:||Gardd-y-Sant||Grid Ref:||SH 3868 4480 (GB)|
|County:||Caernarvonshire (Caernarfon) , Wales||Saint(s):||Aelhaiarn|
Westwood/1867, 342: `newly-enclosed piece of ground adjoining the churchyard of Llanhaiarn, formerly called Gardd Sart'.
RCAHMW/1960, 97, notes that Llanaelhaiarn (or Llanaelhaearn) is a moderate sized parish stretching from the peaks of Yr Eifl to the slopes of the hills opposite and including a strip of the coast. The parish church now has an equal-armed cross plan, but until 1892 the chancel only extended 5ft. beyond the transepts. The nave is of 12th century date with 14th century inserted windows. The remainder of the church is 16th century and later, the last recorded major rebuild being in 1892.
Anon/1877, 328, editorial note: `The name of the place where this stone was found, `Gard y Sant' (the Saint's Garden), the peculiar form of the conjoint TV, and the local pronunciation of the name of the village, suggest the idea that this was looked upon as the founder's tombstone, and that his name has been superseded by the better known Aelhaiarn.'