|Name:||Guer (Gwern-Porc-hoed)||CISP No:||GUER|
|Place:||Guer (Gwern-Porc-hoed)||Grid Ref:||266.8 2332.2 (FR)|
|County:||Morbihan (Mor-Bihan) , France||Saint(s):||Gurval|
|Site Type:||modern secondary|
Davies et al/2000, 199--200: `Guer lies inland in central eastern Brittany, 50m above sea level, in the valley of the River Aff, close to the confluence with the Oyon, and it is just under 10km south of the forest of Paimpont; the bedrock is Brioverian, an ancient (Pre-Cambrian) soft shale characteristic of the inland east. The bourg is now a small town (the cantonal capital), surrounded by productive agricultural land. At the time of drawing the cadastral map of 1847 it was also a thriving small agricultural town, surrounded by good farmland (ADM 3P388 Guer section P2). The presbytery, then as now, lay on the Rue du Four, 250m south of the parish church.
In the early middle ages the settlement of Guer was the centre of one of a number of plebes (proto-parishes) that were - for the period - relatively densely occupied and intensively worked. In the Roman period it lay close to the major road south from Corseul and only 5km north of the important road junction, temple, and industrial site at Le Mur. The roads and Le Mur were used for some time in the post-Roman period, as was a villa at La Démardais, 5km to the north west of Guer; a late Roman burial with military equipment has also been discovered 3km north of Guer, near La Bonde. An early medieval chapel, with distinctive herringbone walling, survives at Saint-Étienne, 4km west of Guer'.