|Name:||Gortnagullanagh (Gort na gCuileannach)||CISP No:||GORGH|
|Place:||Gortnagullanagh (Gort na gCuileannach)||Grid Ref:||Q 546 10 (IR)|
|County:||Kerry (Ciarraí) , Ireland||Saint(s):||none|
Cuppage et al/1986, 226: `This site was marked on the first edition of the OS map as a circular ring of dots. It is known locally as a fort and was identified by Hitchcock (1853, 401--3) as a rath. The field in which it is located is named `Páirc an Leasa'. A cross-inscribed ogham stone formerly acted as a lintel over the doorway to a D-shaped clochaun which stood within the enclosure...Ringfort: The site is severely disturbed and has been used as a quarry for road metal. Its E half is now occupied by an amorphous group of pits and mounds, but a curving bank of earth and stone can be traced around the W half of the site. The area covered by these features measures 23.5m N--S and 23m E--W. Windele (1848, 468--70) was locally informed that the site had been used as a burial ground for children but not within living memory. Some quartz stones scattered about the site today could have been introduced to mark burials'.