|Name:||St Palladius's Chapel||CISP No:||FORDN|
|Place:||Auchenblae||Grid Ref:||NO 7261 7841 (GB)|
|County:||Kincardineshire , Scotland||Saint(s):||Ethernon ; Paldy ; Palladius|
Lines/1992, 9: `Fordoun kirk is known as the `mither-kirk o' the Mearns''.
Allen/Anderson/1903, 202: `church stands on a knoll on the west side of the valley of the Luther Water'.
At the very foot of the Grampian massif on edge of Strathmore.
NMRS/NO77NW3: `the present church dates to 1830 and replaced the church of 1788 which was itself a replacement of an earlier church on or near the same site. 20m to the south stands the remains of a late medieval chapel, the oldest parts of which are fifteenth century. Some of the stones in the building are cup-marked'.
NO 7260 7833, notes that it is the site of St Palladius's Well, a place of pilgrimage from all parts of Scotland before the Reformation. Watson/1926, 110: 'Fourdoun is mentioned in an Irish Manuscript of 1100 in association with the ministry of Palladius'. Watson/1926, 511, n1, states that the name is a Gaelicization of a Brittonic name meaning 'great fort'.
Watson/1926, 110: `Fordoun is mentioned in an Irish manuscript of 1100 in association with the ministry of Palladius.
Watson/1926, 511, n.1, states that the name is a Gaelicization of a Brittonic name meaning `great fort'.