|Name:||Crac'h, Mané-Justice (Krac'h)||CISP No:||CRACH|
|Place:||Crac'h (Krac'h)||Grid Ref:||200.0 2308.0 (FR)|
|County:||Morbihan (Mor-Bihan) , France||Saint(s):||none|
|Site Type:||modern secondary|
Davies et al/2000, 181--182: `The hill of Mané-Justice rises to a height of 41m above sea level and is prominent in the coastal landscape, close to the inlet Le Lac'h, the estuary of the Auray River. The local rock is metamorphic, hard by the granite. The hill overlooks both the estuary and the Roman road to Vannes from Locmariaquer, a place of interest to the monastery of Redon in the early middle ages, which gives reason for continued use of the route in the post-Roman period. It is therefore a well positioned site such as, in insular contexts, might have been expected to have a hillfort. Nowadays it is heavily wooded and includes a modern housing development but at the time of the cadastral survey of 1831 it comprised a number of large fields, uncultivated at that time (ADM 3P362 Crac'h section B2). In 1831 the name `Mani Justiss' was applied to the entire hill, an area approximately 250m (E/W) x 700m (N/S). According to Keranflec'h the name derived from the tradition that it had been the site of a gallows, where feudal punishment was dispensed.
Given the size of the hill, it is not at all clear what part of it is indicated by Keranflec'h's `foot', although both he and Cayot-Delandre were clear that the stone stood by the road. It cannot be a coincidence that the north-eastern edge of the hill is a mere 250m from the chapel at Lomarec [LMARC/1]. It therefore seems more than likely that the stone, particularly given its monumental dimensions, ultimately came from the potentially major ecclesiastical focus of which Lomarec was a part'.