A A A

Institute of Archaeology 80 Years | 1937-2017

22 December 2016

Institute of Archaeology 80th Anniversary logo

The Institute of Archaeology will celebrate its 80th Anniversary in 2017.

The origin of the Institute of Archaeology goes back to Mortimer Wheeler’s vision of creating a centre for archaeological training in Britain, which he conceived in the 1920s. Thanks to his efforts and those of his wife, Tessa Verney Wheeler, his ambitions were realised when the Institute was officially opened in 1937, with Mortimer Wheeler as its first director. Among its early members of staff were some of the founding ancestors of archaeology in Britain.

The Institute’s lease on its original location at St John’s Lodge expired in 1951, and a new home was suggested on the north side of Gordon Square in Bloomsbury. Four Georgian houses on the site were demolished in 1955, and construction began on the building that opened in 1958, and houses the Institute today.

An anniversary is an opportunity to celebrate and a moment to reflect. Today the Institute is the largest Department of Archaeology in Britain, and one of the largest in the world. The Institute is at the forefront of research and teaching in world archaeology, archaeological sciences and heritage studies, focusing on the importance of the past in the present and for the future, and has a student body whose remarkable diversity is second to none.

Keep up to date with the Institute of Archaeology via our website as well as social media  - follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Soundcloud and the IoA Blog!

Wishing all our Institute of Archaeology friends and colleagues, past and current staff and students, a very Happy Christmas and all best wishes for 2017!