UCL Institute of Archaeology Symposium: Celebrating the Contributions of David R Harris
Jun 20, 2014 11:00 AM
End: Jun 20, 2014 05:30 PM
Location: UCL Medawar G01 Lankester Lecture Theatre
A memorial event to celebrate the life and career of David Harris who died last year will be held at UCL on 20 June.
This open gathering is intended to bring together those who knew David, and to remember and celebrate his life, career and contribution to the discipline.
Celebrating the Contributions of Prof David R Harris
- 11.00am: Stephen Shennan (UCL) - David’s contribution to the Institute of Archaeology
- 11.20am: Esmond Harris (David’s brother) - Remembering the young David Harris
- 11.40am: Ken Thomas (UCL) - David Harris and Environmental Archaeology at UCL
- 12.10pm: Hugh Clout (UCL Geography) - David Harris: the geographical beginnings
- 12.30pm: Mark Nesbitt (Kew) - David’s global approach to Ethnobotany and the Economic Botany collections at Kew Gardens
Lunch (1-2pm, not provided)
- 2.00pm: Michele Wollstonecroft (UCL) - David’s contribution to the understanding of post-harvest intensification by hunter-gatherers
- 2.30pm: Jose Oliver (UCL) - David Harris in the Caribbean, 1958 and 1960. Man, Plants and Animals: then and now
- 2.50pm: Claudio Vita-Finzi (UCL) - On the geographical setting of early farming
Tea Break (3.15-3.40pm, Dept. of English Common Room, 2nd floor, Foster Court)
- 3.40pm: George Willcox (CNRS, Jalés) - David and the roots of cultivation in the Near East
- 4.10pm: Dorian Fuller (UCL) - David’s “Alternative Pathways to Agriculture” updated
- 4.40pm: Greger Larson (Durham University) - David Harris and the HOW of animal domestication
- 5.00pm: Peter Rowley-Conwy (Durham University) - Alternative Pathways than Agriculture: plant exploitation and niche construction by hunter-gatherers
All of the Lectures will be held in the UCL Medawar G01 Lankester Lecture Theatre.
The event will be followed by a reception in the Institute of Archaeology's A.G. Leventis Gallery (Ground floor).
Any enquiries about the event may be directed to Kelly Trifilo.