Kevin MacDonald interviewed on Malian ancient architectural heritage
4 July 2012
Over the past week, the fears of all those who revere Mali's ancient architectural heritage came to tragic fruition as Ansar Dine, the Islamic extremist group currently occupying northern Mali, began to systematically destroy the shrines of Timbuktu.
- Listen to the World Today Programme again»
[Kevin's BBC World Service interview from 27.50 minutes]
- Listen to the World Tonight programme again»
[Kevin's BBC Radio 4 interview with Ritula Shah from 34.15 minutes]
Read more about Projet Segou, Kevin's research on the historical archaeology of Mande statehood and settlement in Mali.
Recent media coverage of Mali's coup crisis
- BBC News: In pictures - Timbukti artefacts under threat (2 July 2012)
- BBC News: Islamists vow to smash every mausoleum in Timbuktu (1 July 2012)
- The Guardian: Malian Islamists attack world heritage site mosques in Timbuktu (2 July 2012)
- The Independent: Militants destroy tombs in Timbuktu (2 July 2012)