Sherwood Forest meeting-place investigated
18 February 2011
Institute researchers, archaeologists from Nottinghamshire County Council and volunteers have been investigating a Viking-age meeting place in Sherwood Forest.
Researchers from the Institute's Leverhulme Trust-funded Landscapes of Governance project alongside archaeologists from Nottinghamshire County Council and volunteers from the Friends of Thynghowe spent the week of 17 - 22 January 2011 investigating an area on Hangar Hill in Sherwood Forest.
GPS, Total Station and magnetometer survey were carried out on the probable location of an early medieval open-air meeting place. The site, comprising a mound and associated features, is identified on a map of 1606 as 'Thynghowe', a name already mentioned in the 13th century and likely to derive from the Old Scandinavian þing (assembly or meeting place) and haugr (mound).
The site is one of over a hundred investigated by the Landscapes of
Governance project in 2010, the final results of which will see the
publication of the Electronic Anderson: a fully-revised and updated
online catalogue of early medieval meeting places and their territories,
based on the pioneering research by the Scandinavian scholar O.S.
Anderson, bringing together not just toponymic but archaeological and historical data for these most enigmatic of sites.