Critical Medical Anthropology, Inequalities and Health Disparities
disparities, inequality, medicalization, ideology
- Family and individual response to mental illness among London Bangladeshis (Littlewood) Collaboration with the Ouagadougou OPO, Burkina Faso (funded by Wellcome Trust) which is oriented around studying inequalities in health. Includes Vincent Leger’s PhD research on elderly person’s well-being in peripheral urban areas of Ouagadougou
To be announced
- ANTH3007 Medical Anthropology
- ANTH7005 Population Studies
- ANTHGE03 Population and Development
- Calabrese, Joseph D. 2011. “The Culture of Medicine” as Revealed in Patients' Perspectives on their Psychiatric Treatment. In Shattering Culture: American Medicine Responds to Cultural Diversity. Mary-Jo DelVecchio Good, Ken Vickery, and Larry Park, eds. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Calabrese, Joseph D. and Patrick W. Corrigan. 2005. Beyond Dementia Praecox. In R. Ralph and P. Corrigan (Eds.), Recovery in Mental Illness: Broadening Our Understanding of Wellness. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Littlewood, Roland. 1996. Psychiatry’s Culture. In ‘Culture and Psychiatry’, ed. B. Krause, special issue of International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 42, 245-268.
- Napier, A. David. 2003. The Age of Immunology: Conceiving a Future in an Alienating World. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2003.