- News and Events
- Biological Anthropology
- Medical Anthropology
- Material Culture
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Seminar Series
- Conferences and Workshops
- Other Courses
- Download Area
- Supporting UCL Anthropology
Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 8650
Fax: +44 (0)20 7679 8632
Office hours: Thursdays 13:30 -15:30
Professor of Anthropology
PhD, Social Anthropology
Oxford University, 1987
Charles Stewart studied Classics at Brandeis University where he wrote his undergraduate dissertation on the Greek-speakers of southern Italy. The experience of field research collecting materials for this dissertation motivated a switch to anthropology. He conducted doctoral research on the local practice of Orthodox Christianity on the Greek island of Naxos, and subsequent periods of field research on Naxos and in Athens and Thessaloniki. Charles taught Modern Greek language and literature at Harvard University and social anthropology at Brunel University before coming to UCL, initially as Lecturer in Ancient History and Social Anthropology with a joint appointment in History. His current research interests include the study of syncretism, creolization, dreaming, the anthropology of religion and topics in the borderland between anthropology and history such as continuity/change, temporality and historicity.
- History and Anthropology
- Ethnography of Historicity and Temporality
- Anthropology of Religion
- Dreaming, Psychological Anthropology
- Theories of Cultural Mixture: Syncretism, Creolization
- Ethnography of Greece, Balkans, Europe
Marco Benoit Carbone [Department of Greek and Latin]
Galina Oustinova-Stjepanovic, awarded 2011
Anna Apostolidou, awarded 2010
Konstantinos Kalantzis, awarded 2010
Eugenia Roussou, awarded 2010
Graham Bull, awarded 2009
Costantino Pes, awarded 2008
Aybil Goker, awarded 2007
Constantinos Tsikkos, awarded 2007
Elia Petridou, awarded 2001
Chang-Kwo Tan, awarded 2001
Eleana Yalouri, awarded 2000
Jason Davies (Ancient History), awarded 1999
Dreaming and Historical Consciousness in Island Greece. Harvard University Press, 2012.
Demons and the Devil: Moral Imagination in Modern Greek Culture.
Princeton Univ Press [Greek edition, Athens: Taxideftis, 2008]
Preface to Greek Edition
The Devil in Modern Greece
English version in pdf
Creolization: History, Ethnography, Theory.
Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press. 2007
Read here excerpt from the book.
‘Honor and Shame’ in International Encyclopedia of the Social and BehavioralSciences, 2nd edition, J. Wright (ed), Oxford: Elsevier, forthcoming 2013.
‘Creolization, Ritual and Syncretism: From Mixture to Crystallization’. In Ambos, C., Langer, R., Martzolff, L., Pries, A.H. (eds.); Rituale als Ausdruck von Kulturkontakt. "Synkretismus" zwischen Negation und Neudefinition. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz.
`Fields in Dreams: Anxiety,
Experience and the Limits of Social Constructionism in Greek Dream
Narratives’, in S.
Oberhelman (ed.), Dreams, Healing and
Medicine in Greece: From Antiquity to the Present. London:
‘Indigenous Archaeologies and the Greek State’ (in Greek) forthcoming in A. Papataxiarchis (ed) Revisiting the Political, Athens: Alexandreia.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2011 Venizelos Visiting Professor, Deree College, Athens [http://www.acg.edu/chairs-lectureships]
- 2011 Keynote Lecture, Conference on ‘Materiality, Memory and Cultural Heritage’, Istanbul [http://www.mladiinfo.com/2010/09/29/conference-on-materiality-memory-and-cultural-heritage-istanbul/]
- 2010 Evans-Pritchard Lecturer, All Souls College, Oxford [http://www.isca.ox.ac.uk/publications/podcasts/evans-pritchard-lectures/]
- 2010 Leontis Lecturer, Ohio State University [https://greekandlatin.osu.edu/annual-thomas-e-leontis-memorial-lecture-modern-greek-studies]
- 2009 Area Advisor, ‘Anthropology’, Oxford Classical Dictionary, 4th edition [http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199545568.do?keyword=oxford+classical+dictionary&sortby=bestMatches]
- 2007-09 Advisory Board, Kalaureia Excavation [http://www.kalaureia.org/]
- 2007 Institute for the Humanities, Univ. of Michigan, Visiting Fellow [http://www.lsa.umich.edu/humin/]
- 2005 Getty Research Institute, Scholar [http://www.getty.edu/research/scholars/]
- 2004 British Academy, Senior Research Fellowship [http://www.britac.ac.uk/funding/guide/srf.cfm]
- 2004- Senior Editor, Dreaming [http://www.asdreams.org/asdj01.htm]