Eight Teaching Assistants Required
2 May 2013
Tuesday 28th May – Friday 7th June
Would you like to earn approximately £670 (possibly a little more) helping to run the ‘People and the Sea’ Global Citizenship Programme which is being piloted for the first time this year at the end of this term.
The course, aimed at getting first year undergraduate students from across the University to “put their studies into a global context, learn new skills and see the world differently”, is a mix of lectures, skill sessions and self-led student project work and the outcomes will include an exhibition, short films and a RIO20+ type summit.
Your role would be to help one group of students (up to 15 people) through the programme. Each group will be finding out about and then representing one of eight countries (all with significant coastlines) at the end of the course. You would
- attend the lectures and skills sessions,
- help the students practise the skills they are learning (using databases, making presentations, making posters etc.)
- and assist them where necessary in their project work (producing material for the exhibition and the ‘summit’ at the end of the course)
Hours ~ 40 hours over the nine days (average 4.5 hrs/day) contact time and 10 hours preparation @13.41/hr (+ any additional preparation time that was required)
The posts are open to postgraduates across the department (academic contributions are coming from across the department).
- The ability to energise a group of first year students, create group cohesion and, along with myself and others teaching on the course, keep them motivated and actively engaging with the programme.
- Available throughout the entire period 28th May – 7th June.
Desirable (but by no means essential)
- Experience of small group teaching
- Knowledge of and/or interest in environmental issues and/or the countries being represented (Canada, India, Japan, Spain, Indonesia, Ghana, small Pacific island states, Brazil)
To express an interest please send a CV and/or supporting statement to Caroline Garaway (email@example.com) by the end of Tuesday 7th May