- Premiere of a new play: 'Razones por las que Luchar' and photography exhibition
- Talk: A Cinematic Lincoln for 1930s Hard Times: John Ford's Young Mr Lincoln
- Conference: 'Assessing Westminster in the Caribbean: Then and Now'
- Conference: 'China in Latin America'
- Talk: 'Propaganda in the Americas: A Historical Evaluation'
- Film screening: 'Suarez Gold: Afro-Colombian Miners Defending Their Heritage'
- Seminar: 'The Patriation of the Canadian Constitution 1980-1982'
- Talk: 'The 2013 Paraguay Elections'
- Book Launch: 'The Paraguay Reader'
- Talk: 'The Achievements and Limits of Political Regime Change under the PAN Governments in Mexico'
- Seminar: 'Reflections on the Radical Caribbean Intellectual: From Toussaint L'Ouverture to Walter Rodney'
- **CHANGE OF DATE** Book Launch: 'Che Wants to See You: The Untold Story of Che in Bolivia' (Verso, 2013)
- Seminar: NATO, Afghanistan and Canada's alliances
- UCL - Institute of the Americas Open Evening
- Seminar: 'The Dominican Republic as the Hub of the Americas'
- Workshop: 'Havana's transport strategy: mobility, access and opportunities for urban sustainability'
- Redesigning Devolution: International Lessons for the UK
- Talk: 'A history of bigamy in Quebec and Nova Scotia: social and legal trends from 1763 to 1962'
- Venezuelan Elections Panel
- Lecture: 'Does Latin America Exist?'
- Talk: 'The Caribbean in the Age of Free Trade'
- Book Launch: 'Liberty and American Anti-Imperialism 1898-1909'
- Talk: 'The Electoral Uses of Constitutional Decision: the Supreme Court, Obamacare and the Elections of 2012'
- Leverhulme Lecture I - Roberto Gargarella on: Contemporary Constitutionalism in the Americas
- Film screening: 'Golden Scars' (2010)
- US Elections Panel
- Talk: 'The Caribbean in the Age of Preferences (1900-1960)'
- Film screening: 'Impunity' (2010)
- Talk: 'The Lost World of American Conservatism'
- Talk: 'The Caribbean in the Age of Globalisation (1960-)'
- Panel on Michel-Rolph Trouillot
- Book Launch: 'The Developmental Challenges of Mining and Oil'
- Book Launch: 'America Imagined: Explaining the United States in Nineteenth-century Europe and Latin America'
- Conference: 'Social Change and the Sporting Mega-event'
- Talk: 'Coups and talk of coups in Latin America again: what does it all mean?'
- Panel: 'The Left in Latin America: Recent Development and Future Prospects'
- Roundtable discussion: 'Violence against Women in Post-conflict Societies: Comparative Perspectives'
- Seminar: 'Daunting challenges still facing post-earthquake Haiti'
- Seminar: ''Anglo-Conformity': Assimilation Policy in Canada, 1890s - 1950s'
- Talk: 'International Development in Action'
- Seminar: 'Conflict and Convergence: US-Canadian relations since 1776'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'Embodying Race in Colonial Spanish America'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'Rent versus Production: Political Economy and Economic Culture in Venezuela, 1830-2010'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'Conceiving Freedom: Women and the Abolition of Slavery in Havana and Rio de Janeiro'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'How (and Why) Brazilians Developed Dependency Theory and How They Have Come to Disprove it'
- Seminar: 'Women resist Exploitation in Central America and South Africa: what lessons can we learn?'
- Roundtable discussion: 'Colombia 2013: Towards ending the longest armed conflict in the Western Hemisphere?'
- IHR Seminars on American History: ''I Didn't Think Rape': Gendered Expectations and Memories of the Leesburg Stockade Jail-in, 1963'
- IHR Seminars on American History: 'Patriotism is the Last Refuge of a Scoundrel': Un-Americans and The American Legion'
- IHR Seminars on American History: 'Profits for Panthers: The Black Panther Party's publishing strategies and the financial underpinnings of activism, 1968-1975'
- IHR Seminars on American History: 'Revisiting Sixties Historiography: The Links between Student Activism and the Civil Rights Movement in 1960s Chicago'
- IHR Seminars on American History: 'Ethnic Power! The Politics of White Ethnicity 1964-84'
- IHR Seminars on American History: 'War, money, and the American State, 1783-1867'
- IHR Seminars on American History: ''The Old Lion is Dead': The Reception of Theodore Roosevelt's Death'
- IHR Seminars on American History: 'Edward Isham's Honour: Manhood and Class in the Antebellum South'
- IHR Seminars on American History: 'Paradoxes of Marriage and Slavery in Early North America'
- Panel: 'Race and the Pink Tide'
- Talk: 'CalHERban's Reason: Women and Afro-Caribbean Philosophy'
- Panel: 'New Perspectives on Caribbean Literature'
- Film screening: 'Abuela Mambo' (Mexico, 2012)
- CANCELLED: Book Launch: 'Promoting Silicon Valleys in Latin America: Lessons from Costa Rica'
- Seminar: 'The New Commonwealth and Cultural Diplomacy in the 1960's: Canadian and Australian art at the Tate Gallery, 1962-1964'
- Seminar: 'The Canada-UK Colloquium, Vancouver, November 2012: a Report'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'The Crisis of Mexican Conservatism: What was it? What is it? And where does it go from here?'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'Municipal Government and the Radical Challenge, Peru, 1870s to 1910s'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'Imagining Democracy in Spanish America, 1800s - 1850s'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'Joaquim Nabuco, Abolitionism and the End of Slavery in Brazil'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'The Anarchist Movement in Argentina in International Perspective'
- CANCELLED - IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'Mitayos or Kajchas: Revisiting Labour and Government in Eighteenth-Century Potosi'
- IHR Seminars on Latin American History: 'Of Imperial Centers and Edges: The Problem of the Atlantic (World) for Understandings of the Spanish Habsburg Empire'
- Lunch Hour Lecture: 'Obama's America: The significance of the 2012 elections'
- Workshop: 'The Return of the PRI in Mexico: An Initial Assessment of the Pena Nieto Administration'
- Talk and Acoustic Performance by Cuban/British collaboration X Planet
- Symposium: 'Radical Americas'
- Seminar: 'The Changing Presidential Politics of Disaster: from Calvin Coolidge to Barack Obama'
- Panel: 'Economic Recovery in Obama's Second Term'
- Public Lecture: 'The Richard Neustadt Lecture on the American Presidency'
- Book Launch: 'Seeking a New Majority: The Republican Party and American Politics, 1960-1980'
- Talk: 'No Room for Fear: Mapping the Hollywood Transition, 1947-1962.'
- Talk: 'Canada and the Americas - Past, Present and Future'
- Inaugural Canadian Studies Lecture
- Symposium: 'Retracing America: Modernism after Paul Strand'
- Inaugural Lecture - Prof Iwan Morgan: 'The US Deficit Habit: What are its causes and what lessons does history offer for breaking it?'
- **CANCELLED** Inaugural Lecture - Prof Maxine Molyneux: 'Recent Migrations to, and within the Americas'
- Talk: 'Ignorant Negroes, Tyrannical Masters: William Burnley and Caribbean Slavery'
- Talk: 'Forty Years After: Politics and Society in Chile and Latin America'
- Seminar: 'King's North? Security and Sovereignty in the Canadian Arctic, 1939-1948
- Seminar: 'M.G. Smith and the Report on 'The Ras Tafari Movement in Kingston, Jamaica' (1960): A Case Study of Applied Colonial Social Anthropology''
- Seminar: 'After the Referendum: Where next for UK-Argentine relations?'
- Panel: 'Confronting Water Injustices: Experiences from Latin America'
- Seminar: 'Affirmative Action in Brazilian Universities: Ethnography of a Social Movement'
- Conference: 'Movies for Hard Times: Hollywood and the Great Depression'
- Public Lecture: 'The Eleanor Roosevelt Lecture'
- Book Launch: ' US Presidents and Democracy Promotion'
- Public Lecture: Prof Bruce Cumings on 'Holding the Peace Since the Korean War? the Armistice at 60'
- Talk: Prof Mark Thurner on 'The Colonial Invention of Global History'
- Talk: Prof Hal Klepak: 'The First Signs of the Man He Was to Be: Churchill in Cuba, 1895'
- Conference: 'Quebec and the World'
- Book Launch: 'Politics and Power in Haiti'
- Book Launch: 'Urban Encounters: Affirmative Action and Black Identities in Brazil'
- Talk: 'The impact of Chinese economic growth on development in Latin America'
- Talk: 'Ecuador's New Economic Vision: Growth, Redistribution and Sustainability'
- Seminar: '‘I’m Starting a War with Spain Tomorrow’: Inside Canada’s Fisheries Crisis of 1995'
- Panel: 'Venezuela After Chavez'
- Commonwealth Fund Colloquium Lecture: Gary Gerstle on 'The Liberal State in an Age of Consensus, 1945-1960'
- Talk and book launch: 'Toward a New International History of the Vietnam War'
- Book Launch: 'Cuba Under Raul Castro: Assessing the Reforms'
- Book Launch: 'Rethinking Reforms: How Latin America and the Caribbean Can Escape Suppressed World Growth'
- Film screening and dialogue: 'Judging the Generals: Human Rights Trials in Chile 15 Years after the Pinochet Case'
- Conference: 'William Lyon Mackenzie King: Unsung Hero?'
- Seminar: 'The Influence of Bentham on Colombia during the 19th Century'
- Seminar: 'Teaching the Influence of Bentham on Colombia through new technologies and Internet resources'
- Workshop on Belize organized by the UK-Belize Association
- Seminar: 'Haiti's Ghetto Biennale'
- Seminar: 'More Cuban Now: Identity Formation in the Cuban Diaspora in London'
- Seminar: 'Filming the History of the Jamaican Maroons'
- Lecture: 'From the Interrupted Revolution to the Betrayed One: Peru in the 1970s, Mexico in the 1980s'
- Book Launch: 'Citizenship and Political Violence in Peru: an Andean Town 1870s-1970s'
- Lecture: 'Love, Dance and Age in the Port of Veracruz'
- ***CHANGE OF VENUE***Lecture: Democracies and Dictatorships in Latin America: Emergence, Survival and Fall
- ***CHANGE OF DATE*** Lecture: 'New Identities and New Border Crossings in the Southern Mexican Frontier'
- Lecture: Kevin Middlebrook on: Labour Movements and Democratization in Latin America: Mexico in Comparative Perspective
- Book Launch: 'Mestizo Genomics: Race Mixture, Nature and Science in Latin America'
- UCL Meets the Americas: The UCL Americas Research Network Seminars series
- UCL Research Network Seminar: 'Human Rights and Inequality'
- UCL Research Network Seminar: 'Transatlantic Identities'
- UCL Americas Research Network Seminar: 'Environment and Urbanism'
- UCL Research Network Seminar: 'Neoliberalism (part one) and Argentine History (part two)'
- Workshop: '40 Years On: Reflecting on the Chilean Coup'
- Conference: 'Rethinking Military Nationalism: New Perspectives on the Revolutionary Government of the Armed Forces, Peru 1968-1975'
- Bringing rights and citizenship into social protection: Latin America in comparative perspective
- Culture of Peace: A Public Lecture by Antanas Mockus
- IHR Seminars in Latin American History: Visions of the New Argentina: Political Culture, Images and Peronist Doctrine (1950-1955)
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: Troubled Negotiations: Mapuche-Chilean Relations in the Early Independence Era (1810-1830)
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: Troubled Negotiations: Mitayos or Kajchas: Revisiting Labour in Eighteenth-Century Potosi
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: Troubled Negotiations: The Three Pillars of the Indigenous Household: Buildings, Land, and Saints in Colonial Mexico
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: The Colony Strikes back: Colombia, Jersey Standard and the American Payment of Reparations for the Loss of Panama
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: Hegel and America: Space, Knowledge and Identity in Twentieth-century Argentina
- Lecture: 'The Future of the Americas at the British Museum'
- Talk: 'The Metamuseum and the World'
- Public Lecture: Scott Berg on 'Woodrow Wilson: The Man and the Icon'
- The 2nd Richard E Neustadt Lecture on the American Presidency: Randall Woods on Lyndon B Johnson and the 'Other War' in Vietnam
- John F Kennedy’s Presidential Heritage
- Seminar: John A Macdonald in 49000 Words
- Panel: Ecuador: Recent Developments and Future Prospects
- Lecture: 'Freedom's Pragmatist: Lyndon Johnson and Civil Rights'
- ***CANCELLED ***
- Caribbean Postgraduate Network
- Seminar: 'Between Cold War and Civil Rights: Popular American Historical Writing, 1947-1980'
- Seminar: 'A Tale of Two Futures: Saskatchewan Today'
- Film screening: 'We women warriors' (Dir. Nicole Karsin - USA/Colombia, 2012; 82 mins.)
- Film screening: 'Unseen Colombia' (Dir. Unai Aranzad, Colombia/Spain, 2012; 63 mins.)
- Seminar: 'London Entangled: Indigenous Histories at the Heart of Empire'
- Seminar: 'Being Canadian in 1900: Nationalisms and Empire' - Michael Böss
- Book Launch: 'Barack Obama and the Myth of a Post-Racial America'
- Book Launch, Documentary and Talk: 'Creative Writing in Women's Prisons'
- Beyond Remittances and Tourism: What Future for the Caribbean Economy?
- Roundtable discussion: 'Democracy in Argentina: Thirty Years After the Transition'
- Seminar: 'American-Canadian Relations in a British World, 1815-1871'
- Lecture: The Politics of Coalitional Presidentialism in Latin America
- Yale-UCL Americas Annual Lecture: Jay Gitlin on: American Manifest Destiny revisited: French traders and the transcolonial bourgeois frontier, 1763-1847
- Sexual Violence in the Colombian Armed Conflict: a Discussion with Jineth Bedoya Lima
- The 2nd Annual Eleanor Roosevelt Lecture - Tony Badger on: Eleanor and Franklin: Women and the New Deal
- Seminar: 'Between Attacks - Canadian Counter-Terrorism in the 1970s and 80s & Its Relevance to the 9/11 Era'
- Seminar: Dialogic Justice and Social Rights in Recent Latin American Practice
- Leverhulme Lecture II - Roberto Gargarella on: Two Centuries of Constitutional Debates in the Americas
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: The Promise of APRA and Why it Failed: Learning from the Experience of a Town in Peru's Central Andes, 1931-1948
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: Two Hundred Years of Latin American Constitutionalism: Promises and Problems
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: Towards a More Educated Citizenry? Educational Policies and Outcomes in Peru, 1870-1960
- IHR Latin American History Seminars: Low Quality Immigrants to Latin America? Human and Social Capital in Historical Migration
- The Annual Canadian Studies Conference: Canadian Cities: Past into Present
- Lunch Hour Lecture: Gender equality and women’s rights in Latin America
- Methods Workshop: The Study of Democracy, International Human Rights Courts and Punishments in Latin America
- Panel: The Structure of Slave Ownership in St Catherine, Jamaica and Nevis, 1817-1834
- Conference: Politics in the UK Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies
- Seminar: That Jamaica: Women, Secrets, and Battyman Business
- Lecture: The Governance of Public Health in Mexico - Alberto Diaz-Cayeros (Stanford)
- Inaugural Lecture - Prof Maxine Molyneux (UCL-Institute of the Americas) on Transnational Americans: Latin American Perspectives on Recent Trends in Pan-American Migration
- Lecture: Citizen Participation: Political Context and Associations. A Comparative Study of Bogota (Colombia) and Madrid (Spain)
- Canadian First Nations and Issues of Obesity
- Book Launch: 'The Jippi-Jappa Hat Merchant and his Family: A Jamaican Family in Britain'
- Panel: Ecuador Today: Challenges, Diversity And Stability
- Refiguring Self, Nation, and ‘Foreign’ through Lottery Scamming in Jamaica
- Sugar, Sweat and Swag: Towards a kineto-somatic history of the plantation
- Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Rise of Japan: the British World during the Great War
- Felipe Fernandez-Armesto at UCL - Lecture: 'A Typical Latin American Country: The United States'
- Globalization and Latin American Development Annual Lecture 2014 - Joan Martinez-Alier on 'Mining Conflicts in Latin America: Drawing on Activist Knowledge'
- Lecture: Options for further autonomy in Puerto Rico and the non-independent Caribbean: looking beyond the rhetoric
- Lecture: The two-speed global crisis and its impact in Latin America
- Seminar: Atlantic Divided: The North Atlantic Triangle and Arctic Security in 1940
- Lecture: Caribbean Tourism: Consumption of Places and the Growth of the Sin Industries
- Lecture: Cuba in the Americas: New Developments and Possibilities
- Second Annual UCL-IA Canadian Studies Lecture: Hector Mackenzie on: Canada and the (Re)discovery of the Americas - An Historical Perspective
- The BrANCH Post Graduate and Early Career Workshop
- Canada, the UK and Global Health – the report of the annual Canada-UK Colloquium, November 2013
- Americas Plural Lecture: Marie Arana on 'Bolivar: American Liberator'
- Lecture: New Histories of the Old PRI
- Talk: Spaces of Humanitarian Resistance: Community neutrality in the Colombian conflict
- Open Day at UCL-Institute of the Americas
- Naomi Wood discusses her book 'Mrs. Hemingway'
- Iwan Morgan on 'Ronald Reagan Movie Star' - UCL Festival of the Arts
- CANCELLED EVENT- Seminar: Patrick Nelson: exploring the life of a Jamaican migrant to interwar Britain
- Seminar: Selwyn Strachan on 'The Grenada Revolution: Its Impact on the Caribbean Region'
- Roundtable: The Struggle Against Torture and Other Human Rights Violations in Contemporary Mexico
- Workshop: Historical Perspectives on Latin American Constitutionalism
- Political Discussion Forum: The EZLN, 20 years after: Origins and impact on the Mexican society
- Canadian Seminar: Out in the Cold? Canada's Arctic Policy in the 21st Century
- Book Launch: Sexual Violence During War and Peace: Gender, Power and Post-Conflict Justice in Peru
- Panel Discussion: British Reparations for Caribbean Slavery: Why, When and How?
- Conversatorio de Paz: Peace Negotiations between the Colombian Government and FARC
- Lecture: The Quebec Election of April 2014: Initial Impressions and Future Significance
- The First Presidential History Network Conference: A Presidential Nation: The Presidency in US History
- Lecture: An Insight into the Cuban Biotechnology Industry
- London Colloquium - New Voices on Canada
- Seminar: Evo's Bolivia: Continuity and Change
- Seminar: Total War: Mexico and Europe 1914
- Lecture: Michelle Bachelet’s presidencies: gender, politics and institutional change in Chile
- Seminar: Race, Religion and Culture in Brazilian Social Thought: Some Highlights
- Seminar: Interrogating Race and Achievement: Racialised Facilitative Capital and the Underachievement of Afro-Trinidadian Boys
- Book Launch: 'Argentina since the 2001 Crisis: Recovering the Past, Reclaiming the Future'
- UCL-IA launches Inter-American Human Rights Network website
- Deadline to apply to Master's degrees extended
- The Jeremy Bentham PhD Studentship awarded
- AHRC-LAHP PhD Studentship awarded
- Post-doctoral fellowships at UCL-IA
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow Dr Juan Grigera to join UCL-IA
- Westminster in the Caribbean conference: September 11-12 2014 in Jamaica
- New UCL-IA Director Appointed
- UCL-IA staff nominated to UCL Student Choice Teaching Awards
- Verena Braehler on violence in Rio de Janeiro
- Tony McCulloch elected President of BACS
- Iwan Morgan awarded BAAS Honorary Fellowship 2014
- The Americas Studentships - call for applications
- MSc International Relations of the Americas - Apply online now
- Watch our videos
- New Modules for 2014/15
Tweets by @UCLAmericas
Seminar: Interrogating Race and Achievement: Racialised Facilitative Capital and the Underachievement of Afro-Trinidadian Boys
Starts: Oct 1, 2014 5:30:00 PM
Starts: Oct 8, 2014 5:30:00 PM
Starts: Oct 23, 2014 6:00:00 PM
Starts: Oct 30, 2014 6:00:00 PM
Starts: Nov 19, 2014 5:30:00 PM
Conference: 'Report on the Americas 2013: Economies in Flux'
Publication date: Mar 25, 2013 5:51:02 PM
Jun 14, 2013 9:45:00 AM
End: Jun 14, 2013 8:00:00 PM
Location: UCL-Institute of the Americas, 51 Gordon Square, London, WC1H 0PQ
UCL - Institute of the Americas (UCL-IA) hosts this conference, with the participation of eminent scholars and experts: Juan Carlos Moreno Brid, of the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) will provide a keynote presentation, followed by a host of distinguished guest speakers, including Professor Carmelo Mesa Lago (University of Pittsburgh), Dr Diego Sanchez Ancochea (St Anthony’s College, Oxford University), Dr Mahrukh Doctor (University of Hull), John Bowler (Economist Intelligence Unit), Professor Ricardo Ffrench Davis (ECLAC) and UCL-IA's Professors Maxine Molyneux, Iwan Morgan and Victor Bulmer-Thomas, amongst others.
Global changes are transforming the economic structure of the Americas. Prospects in the next decade will be affected by the rise of the South, new imbalances, emerging industries, resource constraints and the changing relationships between states and markets. This one-day conference, hosted by the Institute of the Americas (UCL-IA) and supported by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, invites presenters and participants to explore the nature of current shifts in economic power, potential, vulnerabilities and ideas, and the significance of these changes for decision-makers.
Presentaton slides (Open in PDF)
|Juan Carlos Moreno Brid||Economic Performance in Latin America in 2013 and beyond - from chasing pavements to turning tables?|
|Michael Reid||Latin America at the Twilight of the Great Commodity Boom|
|John Bowler||The Americas in the World: Risks, Stengths and Weaknesses|
|Phil Mullan||The US industrial renaissance: an economy on the mend, or wishful thinking?|
|Dr Diego Sanchez Ancochea||Central America: Looking at the present from a structuralist perspective|
|Dr Mahrukh Doctor||The Changing role of Development banks: Lessons from Brazil|
|Professor Carmelo Mesa Lago||Lessons from Re-reforms of Privatized Pensions Systems in Argentina, Bolivia and Chile|
|Ricardo Ffrench-Davis||Macroeconomic Management: From Financierism to Productivism|
|Gilberto Arias and Guy Edwards||Latin American Climate Change Policy and Sustainable Growth|
Update: Mike Reid, Latin America Editor at The Economist, talks about the issue of productivity in Latin America.