Institute of the Americas
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow Dr Juan Grigera to join UCL-IA
- Westminster in the Caribbean conference: September 11-12 2014 in Jamaica
- New UCL-IA Director Appointed
- UCL-IA staff nominated to UCL Student Choice Teaching Awards
- Verena Braehler on violence in Rio de Janeiro
- Tony McCulloch elected President of BACS
- Iwan Morgan awarded BAAS Honorary Fellowship 2014
- The Americas Studentships - call for applications
- MSc International Relations of the Americas - Apply online now
- Watch our videos
- New Modules for 2014/15
Tweets by @UCLAmericas
Starts: Oct 23, 2014 6:00:00 PM
Starts: Nov 19, 2014 5:30:00 PM
Starts: Dec 10, 2014 5:30:00 PM
Public Lecture: 'The Richard Neustadt Lecture on the American Presidency'
This is the inaugural lecture in a new annual series, the Richard Neustadt lecture on the American Presidency, hosted by the UCL Institute of the Americas and its American Presidency Centre. It commemorates the founding father of modern US presidential studies, Richard Neustadt, author of the seminal Presidential Power, published in 1960.
Distinguished presidential scholar, Prof George Edwards, will deliver this first Neustadt Lecture 'Explaining Leadership in
the Obama Presidency'. He will consider
whether Barack Obama's first term difficulties owed more to partisan
polarization or to his overestimation of the leadership
opportunities in the context of the times. He will also evaluate the
possibilities of stronger presidential leadership in Obama's second term and
the changing post-election variables that might allow for this.
About the speaker
George Edwards is University Distinguished Professor of Political Science at Texas A&M University and currently Winant Professor of American Government at Balliol College, Oxford. He ranks among the foremost students of the American presidency. His many books include: On Deaf ears: The Limits of the Bully Pulpit; Why the Electoral College is Bad for America; Governing by Campaigning: The Poiltics of the Bush Presidency; The Strategic Presidency: Persuasion and Opportunity in Presidential Leadership; and Overreach: Leadership in the Obama Presidency. He is the editor of the formemost journal dedicated to analysis of the presidency, Presidential Studies Quarterly. He has also edited many books, contributed chapters to numerous edited books, and written articles for the top political science journals.