Connecting UCL alumni and students, the FREE online careers mentoring network is an easy way to talk to experienced graduates about your next career steps.
Register on the Alumni Web Community today to access the network.
GradClub is the UCL careers support service designed specifically for our recent graduates.
UCL students are part of a diverse and talented global community for life and UCL is here to help you develop your career long after graduation.
UCL Connect is the new professional development series for alumni, combining award-winning professional networking events, free online mentoring, CPD courses and lots more.
See below for further details and contact the alumni team if you would like any further information.
This section is updated regularly, make sure you revisit for the latest dates and booking availability (links will be shown for individual events when booking is open).
Photos from previous events, such as Speed Networking at Boxpark and How to find your ideal job, can be found on Alumni@UCL Flickr.
October 2014 - February 2015
26 November 2014 at the Academy of Medical Sciences
Professional Networking Event: Where can life sciences take you? - Book Online
Speed Networking: Media and Broadcasting
Expert Advice: Leadership skills
March 2015 - June 2015
Expert Advice: Promote yourself online
Professional Networking Event: Do something different
Speed networking: Art and Design
Professional Networking Event: Bartlett Means Business
Expert Advice: Entrepreneurship, innovation and collaboration
The Careers Mentoring Network is a web based facility through which students and recent graduates (mentees) can contact UCL alumni (mentors) to gain an insight into the realities of working in specific professions.
Alumni mentors can give mentees informal guidance about certain jobs, sectors and professions based on their own experiences in that career field.
- Alumni can access the system and opt to become a mentor through registering for the Alumni Web Community (you’ll need your alumni number, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not know yours).
- Students can only access the mentor part of the site and need to use their standard UCL student ID and password.
UCL Talent Bank is
a shortlisting service which connects our recent graduates to a broad range of
employers, including UCL Alumni. We actively source opportunities for UCL
graduates and present applications to employers.
Looking for opportunities?
Complete your candidate profile, upload your CV and create applications with a cover letter at: www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/talentbank
“I am extremely glad I managed to find the position…The role advertised was exactly the graduate position I wanted to do-I would even describe it as my dream job! I feel very lucky”
MEng Civil Engineering, 2014- Business Intelligence Analyst.
Looking to recruit?
Potential employers can contact Lizzy McKinney, UCL Talent Bank Manager, directly for further information: email@example.com
In addition to the Careers Mentoring Network there are a number of ways in which our alumni currently volunteer their time and expertise for the benefit of students and fellow graduates.
We really appreciate all support offered to us by our volunteers. In fact we couldn’t achieve half as much without you.
UCL Alumni Speakers
Alumni come back to UCL and speak at a variety of events, with both students and fellow graduates. Opportunities include providing inspirational stories at our annual graduation ceremonies, sharing experiences as panellists for professional networking events and speaking with students of your former departments.
If you would like to volunteer to talk with our students, or take part in alumni professional development events, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the team will be in touch shortly.
Would you be willing to visit your school to encourage pupils to consider higher education?
UCL Access is seeking alumni to join our UCL Advocates scheme for non-selective state schools.
If you would like get involved please contact Louise Sung for further information, or visit the website to register your interest: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/widening-participation/current-students/advocates
UCL Alumni Groups
UCL's alumni groups are led by volunteers who act as local contacts on a global scale. You can find out more about our existing groups and how to establish a new one where you are at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/alumni/groups.
Do you have a work experience opportunity, internship or job vacancy that you’d like to offer to UCL students or alumni? If so our UCL Careers team are happy to help! Just email the information to us at email@example.com and we’ll put you in touch with the right people.
E-journal Access - Coming Soon
All UCL Alumni will soon have access to a wide range of academic journals to assist with your continued learning after graduation. Available journals will initially be provided by Jstor and ProjectMUSE.
E-journal access for alumni is due to launch in late 2015, you will be contacted with details when available. Alumni will need to be a member of the Alumni Web Community to access e-journals - register online.
is the careers support service designed specifically for recent UCL
graduates. Any UCL graduate who has completed a course at UCL can access
FREE dedicated careers support for a further 2 years including 1 to 1
coaching, careers workshops and full access to the UCL careers events
Join thousands of fellow alumni and interact through the UCL Alumni LinkedIn group to develop business and professional connections.
Group members can also take part in the Live LinkedIn Careers Chats.
Alumni to Alumni Benefits
business like to connect with over 170,000 UCL alumni? By taking part in
the Benefits and Services package, your organisation has a unique
opportunity to increase awareness of your services while supporting
fellow UCL graduates.
See the benefits webpage for further information on how to become a provider.
The centre for entrepreneurship at UCL, offers training, networking and business support for staff, students and external entrepreneurs to encourage and enable new enterprises to get going. Unique in the UK Higher Education sector, its primary role is to promote a culture of entrepreneurship on campus and engagement with entrepreneurs and small businesses beyond UCL's boundaries, and currently delivers over 30 activity programmes.
If you have a London based SME that could benefit from training, networking or a variety of other support programmes, please take a look at the website and get in touch http://www.ucl.ac.uk/advances.
UCL Advances business mentoring scheme helps London-based businesses grow and develop by analysing business needs and connecting them to industry mentors. This is for micro, small and medium-sized businesses experiencing “growing pains” due to a lack of specific managerial expertise as needed in development phases. The enterprises would have already passed their start-up phases and are experiencing challenges that are holding back the potential to grow significantly.
We are always on the look out for inspiring mentors who can add value to up-and-coming London SMEs. We seek those with strong business experience and who encourage people to progress in their businesses and help mentees realise their potential.
If you think you meet the description and would like to give some of your time to the next generation of budding entrepreneurs, then please visit the business mentoring webpages.
UCL and our benefit providers offer alumni a diverse range of lifelong learning, from free lectures to departmental short courses.
Lifelong learning from external providers
If you are an external provider (i.e. not a UCL department or former student of the University) and would like to promote lifelong leraning opportunities to UCL alumni , please view the terms and conditions for our benefit providers.
The Mobile Academy
Hatching a new business idea? Need to bring mobile know-how in to your business?
Described by past participants as “a must if you are working in a new tech business” & where “I came out of each session with a toolkit that I used immediately at work the next day”, The Mobile Academy brings you the real need-to-know of mobile. Hosted by UCL & Mobile Monday London, The Mobile Academy is a 10 week, CPD certified, evening programme of talks, demos, workshops & surgeries across business, design & how to work with technology.
Sessions are delivered by industry experts who will share practical insights from case studies that you will not find in the text books. Expect to be attending along 40 people from different disciplines, at different career stages & with a broad range of ideas.
If you are interested in future courses, check the website here: themobileacademy.org.uk and join the mailing list.
Prices start from £500 + booking fee with a special discount for UCL Alumni of 10%. Enter UCL at registration.
More info: themobileacademy.org.uk
Lifelong learning at UCL
UCL departments are welcome to advertised lifelong learning opportunities for alumni - please concact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Lunch hour lectures
- Lunch Hour Lectures are opportunities for anyone to sample the exceptional research work taking place at UCL, in bite sized chunks. Speakers are drawn from across the university, and lectures frequently showcase new research and recent academic publications.
Continued professional development and short courses
- CPD@PaLS - CPD@PaLS is a unit within the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences at UCL which runs a programme of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses, summer courses, study days and national and international conferences. Such events attract professionals - from UK, Europe and beyond - working in the area of communication difficulties and speech sciences. Courses can also be designed and tailor made specifically to meet the needs of an organisation. The programme includes courses for non-native English speakers who want to improve their pronunciation and presentation skills. Find out more about the 2014/15 programme.
- UCL Laws CPD Courses - The Faculty has a thriving continuing legal education section which offers many free public events and fee paying events offering CPD hours for those that attend. In addition, all UCL Laws fee paying events (excluding degree programmes) offer a discount to alumni. Find out more about UCL Laws CPD courses.
- Eastman Dentistry CPD Courses - Eastman Continuing Professional Development encourages a structured and progressive approach to lifelong learning by providing a comprehensive range of evidence-based educational activities to challenge and stimulate practitioners, specialists, consultants and all members of the dental team from qualification to retirement. Find out more about Eastman Dentistry CPD courses.
- School of Life and Medical Sciences CPD Courses - The School of Life and Medical Sciences (SLMS) offers a wide variety of continued professional development courses. Find out more about SLMS CPD courses.
- Slade Summer School and Short Courses - The programme includes a unique ten-week Summer School Foundation in Fine Art and a range of Summer School Short Courses which includes a range of one and two-week courses in Fine Art. The Slade offers Evening, Saturday and Easter Short Courses. Find out more about Slade summer school and short courses.
- UCL Statistics Courses - The UCL Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital are offering alumni a 50% discount on UCL/ICH Statistics Courses. For more information on the wide range of courses available, and to book online, visit www.ucl.ac.uk/stats-courses.General/payment queries: +44 (0) 2079052768Course-specific queries: +44 (0) 77 30405 980 Email: email@example.com
- UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE) - Evening courses - UCL alumni are entitled to discounts on evening courses in over 15 foreign languages in addition to a 50% reduction on self-access fees meaning that three months use is only £30. Find out more about CLIE evening courses.
- Language Evening Classes at SSEES - The language unit at SSEES offers evening courses in 18 Slavonic and East European languages, with particular emphasis in spoken communication. Our evening course students are also given free access to the nationally renowned SSEES Library for the duration of their course. UCL alumni are entitled to discounted course fees. Find out more about SSEES evening classes.