Twitter feed from ICANN
Upcoming Webinars: Trademark Clearinghouse & IDNs (6/19) and IDN Variant TLD Program Update (6/27)
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:21:16 +0000Read more...
Community Priority Election: Now Open for Early Election
Sat, 15 Jun 2013 00:00:30 +0000Read more...
Evaluation Panel Process Documentation Available for Review
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:03:14 +0000Read more...
Next Set of Initial Evaluation Results Released. Total Number of Passing Applications Now 720. View Them Here.
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:01:53 +0000Read more...
- ICANN opened the first round of its New gTLD Program for domain names in any language or script on January 12, 2012.
- UCL is providing linguistic expertise for ICANN as the applications for the new names are evaluated.
- Until 1998, requests for new TLDs were dealt with by the U.S. government. ICANN has been dealing with them since.
Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs):
- Equivalent of e.g. .com, .org in any language or script
May include any word in any language of script:
- Organisation names
- Brand names
- Geographic names etc.
- Further information: New gTLDs, ICANN
Video with overview of ICANN's New gTLD Program
The New gTLD Program is ICANN's largest ever project and the greatest change to the Internet since the establishment of .com etc.
Page last modified on 20 may 13 14:20