Twitter feed from ICANN
500+ New gTLD Agreements Signed & Counting
Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:23:45 +0000Read more...
New Contracting Statistics Released
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:23:46 +0000Read more...
Results Available for 17 September 2014 Auction
Thu, 18 Sep 2014 00:07:09 +0000Read more...
Public Interest Commitments Dispute Resolution Procedure (PICDRP) Standing Panel Identified
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:39:34 +0000Read more...
- ICANN opened the first round of its New gTLD Program for domain names in any language or script on January 12, 2012.
- UCL is providing linguistic expertise for ICANN as the applications for the new names are evaluated.
- Until 1998, requests for new TLDs were dealt with by the U.S. government. ICANN has been dealing with them since.
Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs):
- Equivalent of e.g. .com, .org in any language or script
May include any word in any language of script:
- Organisation names
- Brand names
- Geographic names etc.
- Further information: New gTLDs, ICANN
Video with overview of ICANN's New gTLD Program
The New gTLD Program is ICANN's largest ever project and the greatest change to the Internet since the establishment of .com etc.
Page last modified on 20 may 13 14:20