Updated PDT Specifications: Whois Test Updates
Thu, 04 Feb 2016 02:26:51 +0000Read more...
Revised New gTLD Program Implementation Review Report Now Available
Sat, 30 Jan 2016 01:24:59 +0000Read more...
Results Posted for 27 January 2016 Auction
Thu, 28 Jan 2016 04:07:48 +0000Read more...
New Contracting Statistics Released
Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:40:12 +0000Read more...
- ICANN opened the first round of its New gTLD Program for domain names in any language or script on January 12, 2012.
- UCL is providing linguistic expertise for ICANN as the applications for the new names are evaluated.
- Until 1998, requests for new TLDs were dealt with by the U.S. government. ICANN has been dealing with them since.
Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs):
- Equivalent of e.g. .com, .org in any language or script
May include any word in any language of script:
- Organisation names
- Brand names
- Geographic names etc.
- Further information: New gTLDs, ICANN
Video with overview of ICANN's New gTLD Program
The New gTLD Program is ICANN's largest ever project and the greatest change to the Internet since the establishment of .com etc.
Page last modified on 20 may 13 14:20