Student Business Advisor
Grade 7 (18 months)
UCL Advances, UCL's centre for entrepreneurship and business interaction, was launched in August 2007 to develop new links between UCL and businesses of all kinds, with a particular focus on small and medium-sized enterprises.
In fulfilling this objective UCL Advances’ activities are based around training programmes and events that bring together potential collaborators to ease UCL’s staff and students ability to meet businesses and investors. Through these, we hope to enable UCL students and academics to develop new business capabilities and then provide access to support schemes providing help to engage and collaborate with business.
UCL is one of the UK's leading universities; it is a world-class multidisciplinary research and teaching institution, currently ranked in the top-ten in the world. UCL Advances was launched to enhance UCL's role as a hub of entrepreneurship and innovation befitting its status as one of the top universities in the world.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Part-time general business advisor helping current students to develop new business ideas, assisting with business plan development, finding funding sources, making the best use of UCL and other support structures, company registration, etc
- Primary role: to advise and encourage students looking to plan and start their own businesses
- Secondary role: to support internal training programmes for students and external continuing professional development workshops, including the London Entrepreneurs' Challenge workshops, Business Plan Competition and other existing UCL Advances’ programmes
- Work would include one-on-one coaching and delivery of workshop presentations to small group
- Hold regular advice surgeries
- Liaise with the careers office, the alumni office and the Union to co-ordinate support to current students and recent graduates
- Manage the “Bright Ideas Programme” under which two businesses started by students, one predominantly post-graduate led and the other under-graduate, are selected to receive up to £25,000 as a convertible loans to support the development of their ideas
- Responsible for reporting on student-based business activities to external bodies
- Responsible for co-ordinating across existing student activities
- Take the lead in grant applications for student-business promotion activities to NCGE, NESTA and other funding agencies
To undertake other tasks as appropriate as directed by the Head of Department
Completed applications should be sent to Deepa Visavadia, email@example.com.
Please complete the online application form, where possible.
UCL particularly welcomes applications from black and minority ethnic candidates as they are under represented within UCL at this level. This is in line with section 38 of the Race Relations Act 1976.
Current UCL Job Vacancies
All current UCL job vacancies are listed at: