UCL is one of the most successful UK universities at attracting funding, with an income of nearly £900 million in 2012, when we received:
- 3rd highest allocation of Research Council UK funding
- 3rd highest allocation of European Research Council starting grants
UCL research income has risen more than 20% over the past three years to more than £300 million in 2012.
This has helped UCL to be ranked as the most productive research university in the UK by Scimago Research Group.
Image: Caffeine crystals (right). Credit: Annie Cavanagh and David McCarthy (UCL School of Pharmacy)
Progress through partnership
UCL academics are working at the forefront of their disciplines partnering with world-renowned organisations such as Intel, BHP Billiton and NASA and contributing to influential reports for the UN, EU and UK government.
- UCL and Yale University have formed the Yale UCL Collaborative
- UCL Partners is the largest academic health partnership in Europe
- More than 100 PhD Impact Studentships are co-funded with industry partners every year.
Image: Large Hadron Collider (left). Credit: CERN
Inspired by today's challenges
With dedication and a creative approach, UCL research is helping to address the world's most urgent problems.
Whether we are designing healthier cities, or grappling with issues such as global health or climate change, the challenges of daily life inspire UCL students and academics. Discover UCL's Grand Challenges.
Explore how UCL Enterprise works to maximise the impact of our research through training, business partnerships and commercialisation.
Image: GuangMing eco-city (right). Credit: Professor CJ Lim
UCL brings together world-renowned experts, from across the academic spectrum, to tackle complex problems presented by an increasingly interconnected world. Examples include:
- The UCL Energy Institute harnesses different perspectives and knowledge in energy research, transcending the boundaries between academic disciplines.
- The Centre for Intercultural Studies promotes interdisciplinary and international approaches to film, literature, and society.
- The UCL Cancer Institute unites cancer research at UCL and our partner hospitals. It provides expertise, facilities and services to a large array of research groups housed under one roof.