The Dean always held the post of Honorary Librarian, though a succession of other people actually ran the library and were known as the librarians. Their duties seem to have varied and Campbell Thompson noted a reference in the 1855-56 prospectus to the involvement of the librarian at the time, Mr Bing, in teaching French and German to students to improve their general education. The first Library Committee was formed and met in December 1892, apparently in response to concern about the way the library was run. In 1914 The Bland-Sutton Institute building was completed and Saunders
tells us that a library was included among the new facilities.