Inevitably the Library holdings grew and eventually permission was granted to install free-standing shelving between the windows on either side of the room and the "function room" aspect of the Library was abandoned. An interview in 1963
with the then Librarian, Miss Hickling, and her assistant, Mrs Trickett, gives the impression of a modern organized library, but one with an encouraging and responsive attitude to the student readership. Mrs Trickett had joined the Library staff in 1953 and worked with several Librarians over ten years or so. Students had plainly felt at home in the Library: one had had his own shelf, on which he kept his laundry as well as his books, and another felt able to let off a firework in a small case under the periodicals table to wake up dozing readers. Miss Hickling, a professional librarian, was able to organize the Library, not entirely catalogued when she took over, and to modernize it.