On behalf of the Registrar's Office
The Registrar's Office administers a system of fixed fines for the infringements of the Library Regulations.
£20 fine for
- Misuse of library card - lending your card to another person or using someone else's card. UCL ID cards and UCL LS membership cards are only for the use of the person to whom they are issued.
- Activating the exit alarm with un-issued material - it is your responsibility to ensure that all material have been issued prior to going through the exit alarm barriers.
- Exiting via a Fire Exit (except when the fire alarm is activated) - you must always use the designated exits.
£5 fine for
- Causing a disturbance in reading areas - the reading areas are for quiet study only.
- Talking on a mobile phone/communications device outside the designated areas - please ask Library staff if you are not sure where you are allowed to use your mobile phone.
Fines are payable online at: https://payonline.ucl.ac.uk
Repeat offenders will be referred to the Registrar's Office.
All fines go to Student Support Services.
You may appeal this fine to the Registrar's Office on the following conditions.
- You were forced to leave the library during an emergency.
- You were mistaken for someone else.
A mistake on your part, or not knowing the regulations, is not acceptable grounds for an appeal.
If you wish to appeal, you must do so within 10 working days at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-students/money/appeal_a_fine
Top of page
Last modified 31 October 2013