- Who Was Jeremy Bentham?
- About the Bentham Project
- Bentham Texts Online
- Transcribe Bentham
- Research Tools
- International Society for Utilitarian Studies
- News, Events, & Benthamiana
- Videos, Podcasts, & More
- Bentham Project Blog
History of Western Thought Online
Various web sites across the Internet provide excellent resources for the study of intellectual history and the evolution of ideas in economics, law, philosophy and politics.
- Bentham Texts Online
- Jeremy Bentham from the New School University web site
- Jeremy Bentham Links web site
- Jeremy's Labyrinth
- Bentham and Australia
- Catalogue of Bentham Collection at Chou University Library, Japan. This Japanese site contains characters that may not be correctly displayed.
- Transcripts from original manuscripts may be viewed online in the UK Data Archive (of the AHDS History).
- Catalogue of Bentham manuscripts via the A2A database of the UK archives network.
- The Bentham Papers database
Classic texts on Bentham and Utilitarianism
- Leslie Stephen The English Utilitarians, 3 vols., London, 1900.
- John Stuart Mill, Bentham, London and Westminster Review, Aug. 1838, revised in 1859 in Dissertations and Discussions; political, philosophical and historical. Reprinted chiefly from the Edinburgh and Westminster Reviews, 4 vols., London, 1859-75, vol. 1.
- Henry Sidgwick Bentham and Benthamism in Politics and Ethics, The Fortnightly Review, 21, January-June 1877, pp. 627-652.
Humanities and Social Sciences
- Online Resources for Historians From the Institute of Historical Research, London University
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online has over 135,000 eighteenth-century printed books (available only to UCL students and staff from this link)
- Economists' Papers 1750–2000
- Bibliothèque Virtuelle, PHAR, pôle d'histoire de l'analyse et des représentations économiques, Univerité de Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (includes 8 Bentham texts)
- Library of Economics and Liberty
- Documents for the history of economics
- The Avalon Project at the Yale Law School Documents in Law, History and Diplomacy categorised as follows: Pre 18th Century Documents, 18th Century Documents, 19th Century Documents, 20th Century Documents.
- Portal to UK Legal Resources for Lawyers
- Cardiff Index to Legal Abbreviations
- Lecture at LSE Professor Richard Layard, in the Lionel Robbins Memorial Lectures, entitled 'Happiness: has social science a clue?' delivered at LSE in March 2003, puts the case for a 'Return to Bentham'.
- Human News a news service which tries to quantify the importance of each story and to set its length accordingly
- Classical Utilitarianism Web Site
- Episteme Links
- Philosophy around the Web
- Peirce Edition Project
- Utilitarian Resources
- The Liberty Fund Online library 420 authors and 1211 titles
- Ethics Updates
- Birkbeck College Library's information page on Internet Resources for Politics and Sociology
Full-text humanities databases available by subscription to InteLex.
The Complete Works and the Correspondence Vols. 1-10, (edited by the Bentham Project and published by Oxford University Press) in an electronic version available by subscription from Intelex. Available to UCL staff and students here.
Page last modified on 30 sep 10 15:03