New Directions in Bentham Studies Symposium
The Bentham Project in the Faculty of Laws at UCL is delighted to announce our December 2013 symposium: New Directions in Bentham Studies. The symposium's aim is to facilitate discussion of new work in the inter-disciplinary field of Bentham Studies. Presentations will explore both recent developments in, and potential future avenues for, research into the works and thought of English philosopher and jurist Jeremy Bentham.
- Anne Brunon-Ernst, Université Paris II: ‘Bentham, Foucault and Biopolitics’
- Emmanuelle de Champs, Université Paris 8: ‘Placing Jeremy Bentham in a French Context: problems and methods’
- Angela Marciniak, Universität Lüneburg: ‘Bentham’s conception of security and its influences on his democratic theory’
- Paola Rudan, Università di Bologna: ‘The Constitutional Code of Society’
- Guillaume Tusseau, Sciences Po: ‘The Failure of Legal Emancipatory Discourse: Jeremy Bentham and the (Too Strong) Force of a Law’
An update will also be given on the progress of the Bentham Papers Transcription Initiative (Transcribe Bentham) by members of the Bentham Project.
Download a copy of the provisional agenda (timings and titles of papers are subject to change).
- Location: Keeton Room and Moot Court, Bentham House, University College London, Endsleigh Gardens, London WC1H 0EG. Directions to Bentham House
- Date: Friday 13th December 2013
- Time: 9.30am until 6pm
- Online registration is now open at our EventBrite page
- Attendence is free
- Places are now very limited, so please confirm your attendance as soon as possible
Please direct any queries about the symposium, or problems with the online registration process, to the organizer Kris Grint either via email - firstname.lastname@example.org - or telephone - +44 (0) 20 7679 3609.
A high-resolution version of the symposium poster is available for download. We would also be pleased to supply a high quality A3 colour poster for display on faculty or departmental noticeboards - please email the organizer at the above address to arrange this.