- Who was Jeremy Bentham?
- News and Events
- Bentham Texts Online
- Transcribe Bentham
- Research Tools
- New Directions in Bentham Studies Symposium
Professor Fred Rosen
Professor Rosen retired as director of the Bentham Project on 30 September 2002, and as Joint General Editor a year later. He has been appointed Honorary Senior Research Fellow in the Bentham Project and Emeritus Professor of the History of Political Thought in the History Department.
Email: Fred Rosen
Bentham's constitutional law writings; history of political thought; Ancient Greek political thought; utilitarianism and liberalism; theories of punishment.
Some recent publications:
1. 'Jeremy Bentham's Radicalism', English Political Radicalism, 1550-1850, ed. Glenn Burgess and Matthew Festenstein, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007, 217-40.
2. 'Utilitarianism and the Reform of the Criminal Law', Cambridge History of Eighteenth Century Political Thought, ed. M. Goldie and R. Wokler, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006, 547-72.
3. 'Jeremy Bentham on Slavery and the Slave Trade', Utilitarianism and Empire, ed. B. Schultz and G. Varouxakis, Lanham: Lexington Books, 2005, 33-56.
4. Classical Utilitarianism from Hume to Mill, London: Routledge, 2003.
5. New introduction to paperback edition of Jeremy Bentham An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, ed. J.H. Burns and H.L.A Hart (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1996), pp.xxxi-lxix.
6. 'Nationalism and early British liberal thought', Journal of Political Ideologies 2 (1997), 177-88
7. 'The Bentham Edition', Politics 16 (1996), 127-32 10. 'Does Protagoras justify democracy?', Polis 13 (1994), 12-30
8. Bentham, Byron and Greece. Constitutionalism, Nationalism and Early Liberal Political Thought (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1992)
9. Jeremy Bentham and Representative Democracy, A Study of the Constitutional Code, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1983 (reprinted).