This website gives information on Jeremy Bentham and about the work of the Bentham Project. We are the world centre for Bentham Studies and our main activity is the production of the new edition of Bentham's Collected Works. We are part of UCL's Faculty of Laws.
News and Events
- Watch Escape from Australia: James Martin's Memorandoms, a video featuring Dr Tim Causer and based on the only first-hand account of perhaps the most famous escape by transported convicts from Australia. An interactive video is also available. Two versions of the narrative found in UCL's Bentham Papers have been published online by the Bentham Project.
- A new book by Dr Jeremy Davies, Bodily Pain in Romantic Literature, examines why Bentham wrote in defence of torture.
- The British Library has joined the Transcribe Bentham initiative, making its collection of Bentham papers available online for the first time. Dr Kris Grint has written about the BL's collection, which includes thousands of Bentham family letters, for the Untold Lives blog.
- Of Sexual Irregularities, and Other Writings on Sexual Morality, the latest volume in the Collected Works of Jeremy Bentham, has been published by Oxford University Press. A 30% discount is available for online orders. For more details please see the promotional flyer. Professor Philip Schofield has written about the new volume for the OUP blog.
- Dr Michael Quinn has written on the modern-day relevance of Bentham's writings on sexual morality to Uganda's recent homophobic bill in a piece for The Conversation.
- Recordings from the 2014 programme of Bentham Seminars can be listened to on the new Bentham Seminar Podcast.
- Emeritus Professor Philip Steadman of UCL's Bartlett School of Architecture, has published a book examining the histories of a number of common building types, including houses, hospitals, factories, and prisons. The book contains information on Bentham's panopticon prison scheme. For details of how to order the book, please download the flyer.
- Two competitions featuring Bentham manuscripts have been announced for the forthcoming International Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition (ICFHR-2014): the Handwritten Text Recognition on a tranScriptorium Dataset (HTRtS) competition and the Handwritten Keyword Spotting competition (H-KWS). Visit the conference website.
- New Italian work on Bentham: Paola Rudan's latest book, L’inventore della costituzione. Jeremy Bentham e il governo della società has recently been published by Il Mulino.
- ISUS XIII: The 13th Conference of the International Society for Utilitarian Studies will be held on 20-22 August 2014 at Yokohama National University. Visit the conference website.
See previous news and events in our archive.
The Bentham Project is supported by: