This website gives information on Jeremy Bentham and about the work of the Bentham Project. We are the world centre for Bentham Studies and our main activity is the production of the new edition of Bentham's Collected Works. We are part of UCL's Faculty of Laws.
News and Events
- The Bentham Project has published online George Wheatley's A Visit (in 1831) to Jeremy Bentham, edited by Dr Kris Grint. Wheatley's text is the most detailed and intimate account we have of Bentham's home and domestic and working arrangements. Amusing and enlightening in equal measure, the Visit can also be downloaded as a PDF or in XML format from UCL Discovery.
- Professor Philip Schofield's chapter on Jeremy Bentham forms part of the recently published Constitutions and the Classics: Patterns of Constitutional Thought from Fortescue to Bentham, edited by Denis Galligan, and published by Oxford University Press.
- Dr Tim Causer has written about his trip last year to Norfolk Island, to talk about its convict past for an episode of Coast Australia, hosted by Neil Oliver. The episode was first broadcast on the History Channel in Australia and New Zealand on 16 February, and should be shown on BBC Two in the coming months.
- The programme for the 2015 Bentham Seminars is now available: our speakers this year are Dr Carolyn Shapiro (Falmouth University), Dr Malik Bozzo-Rey (Catholic University of Lille), and Simon Palmer (Leuphana University). All are welcome! Recordings of the 2014 Bentham Seminar programme are available to download.
- The Bentham Project has received a Leverhulme Trust Research Project Grant of almost £300,000 to produce the authoritative edition of Jeremy Bentham's economic writings.
- Transcribe Bentham has reached another milestone: 10,000 transcripts have now been worked on by volunteer transcribers. Dr Tim Causer has written about the achievement at the Transcribe Bentham blog. Dr Causer and Dr Kris Grint have also written about the progress and discoveries made in the British Library's collection of Bentham papers in a post for the Untold Lives blog. An article has also been published by UCL News.
- Of Sexual Irregularities, and Other Writings on Sexual Morality, the latest volume in the Collected Works of Jeremy Bentham, has been published by Oxford University Press. Two responses by members of the Bentham Project to a recent review of the work in The Guardian are available on our blog. A preliminary version of a closely-related work, Not Paul, but Jesus Vol. III, is available to download as a free open-access text.
- Professor Philip Schofield has written a guide to tranScriptorium, a European Union funded project investigating the application of Handwritten Text Recognition (HTR) technology to Bentham manuscripts.
- A new volume entitled Bentham's Theory of Law and Public Opinion, edited by Professor Xiaobo Zhai (UCL/Zhengzhou) and Dr Michael Quinn (UCL), has been published by Cambridge University Press. More information.
- Watch Escape from Australia: James Martin's Memorandoms, a video featuring Dr Tim Causer and based on the only first-hand account of perhaps the most famous escape by transported convicts from Australia. An interactive video is also available. Two versions of the narrative found in UCL's Bentham Papers have been published online by the Bentham Project.
- Recordings from the 2014 programme of Bentham Seminars can be listened to on the new Bentham Seminar Podcast.
See previous news and events in our archive.
The Bentham Project is supported by: