XClose

UCL 2034

Sustainable estate: review of progress

From our foundation in 1826, UCL has had a proud tradition of building innovative and high-quality buildings, many of which have broken new ground in university architecture.

Case study: Wilkins Terrace

The Wilkins Terrace, an innovative new outdoor space located in the middle of our Bloomsbury campus, formally opened in September 2017. The UCL community have been putting the flexible Terrace space to good use, using it as an informal place to meet, chat, eat and study as well as a space for dancing and exercising! 

With this new space our community has the opportunity to host film screenings, exhibitions and fashion shows in the future. The new walk way connecting Gordon Street and the new Wilkins Terrace has also been well received and is helping everyone get across campus quickly.

We also launched the major refurbishment and extension of the Refectory in the undercroft of the Wilkins Building, with 324 new seats and a diverse range of carefully developed food options. It offers staff and students a light-filled, collaborative meeting and eating space.

Andrew Grainger, Director of UCL Estates, said: “This is a significant milestone for our Transforming UCL programme delivering outdoor space at the heart of our Bloomsbury campus within an existing Grade I listed building. It is a fabulous space developed for our staff, students and visitors and will benefit and inspire our entire academic community for generations to come.”

Find out more about the Wilkins Terrace or take a look at some photos on Flickr.

Further information

Previous key enabler

Excellent systems

Next key enabler

Communicating and engaging