I am a Senior Lecturer (equivalent to Associate Professor) at the Department of Statistical Science at University College London, and a Faculty Fellow of the Alan Turing Institute, which is the UK's national institute for Data Science.
I completed a PhD in Statistics in 2007 at the Department of Statistics, University of Warwick, where I subsequently held an appointment as a CRiSM Research Fellow until 2010. In September 2010, I joined University College London as a Lecturer (equivalent to Assistant Professor) in the Department of Statistical Science, and I got promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2015.
More information can be found on the current pages and in my CV .
My current methodological research interests lie in:
- Theory, methods and computation for optimal estimation and inference of statistical models
- Clustering methods and applications
- Inference and computation of statistical models from massive data sets
More details can be found at my research page.
- I have been selected to be one of the inaugural Faculty Fellows of the newly founded Alan Turing Institute.
- My article Bias in parametric estimation: reduction and useful side-effects features in top ten most accessed articles of WIREs Computational Statistics in 2015.
- I will be giving a course on statistical learning of generalized linear models with massive amounts of data at the Barcelona GSE Data Science (November 2015, Barcelona, Spain).
- The Alan Turing Institute funded the scoping workshop Data Science for data-rich sports, which I co-proposed (together with David Firth and Anjali Mazumder at Warwick, Richard Samworth at Cambridge, and Kostas Zygalakis at Edinburgh). The workshop will take place on 2 and 3 November 2015. More workshop details can be found here and here.
- Model-based clustering using copulas with applications appeared online in Statistics and Computing.
- I will be giving a course at the 2nd R Spring Course @ AUEB (March 2015, Athens, Greece)
- I am co-organising the 2nd UCL Workshop on the Theory of Big Data (January 2016, London, UK).
- I will be leading a collaborative project with English Institute of Sport on developing statistical methods for sport performance data. The collaboration includes two year's funding for the appointment of a Research Associate in Statistics. News item here.
- I was awarded the MAPS Faculty Teaching Award in the academic staff category. News items here and here.
- Bias in parametric estimation: reduction and useful side-effects appeared in WIRE Computational Statistics.
- I am organising the session "Handling nuisance parameters: Advances towards optimal inference in statistics and econometrics" at ERCIM 2014 (6th - 8th December 2014, Pisa, Italy).
- Improved estimation in cumulative link models appeared in the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B.
Research students and research associates
Current PhD students
- Sophia Kyriakou (primary supervisor)
- Asma Saleh (primary supervisor)
- Alkeos Tsokos (primary supervisor)
- Stylianos Kampakis (joint supervisor)
- Claudia Di Caterina (visiting PhD student)
- Serhat Akhanli (secondary supervisor)
- Matthew Ames (secondary supervisor)
Current Post-Doctoral Research Associates
- Hannah Frick (Jan 2015 - Jan 2017)
More information on current and past PostDocs, PhD students, and BSc/MSc project students can be found in my CV .
Recent and upcoming seminars & talks
All times are local and in 24-hour format.
- 12 July 2016, 1445-1515: Greek Stochastics θ ', Tinos, Greece
- 7 July 2016, 1800-1820: 31st International Workshop on Statistical Modelling, Rennes, France
- 29 June 2016, 1415-1435: useR!2016 Conference, Stanford, CA, US
- 05 May 2016, 1815-1915: RSS East Midlands Local Group, University of Nottingham, UK
- 26 Feb 2016, 1500-1630: School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh, UK
- 12 Dec 2015, 1425-1450: Invited session "Generalized linear models and beyond", ERCIM 2015, London, UK
- 11 Nov 2015, 1600-1700: Joint meeting of the Royal Statistical Society Statistics in Sport and Statistical Computing Sections, Royal Statistical Society, London, UK
- Greek Stochastics η ', Chania, Greece
- 30th International Workshop on Statistical Modelling, Linz, Austria
- MathSport International 2015, Loughborough, UK
- 20 May 2015, 1330-1430: SuSTaIn i-like workshop, "Intractable Likelihoods", Bristol, UK
- 23 Apr 2015, 1200-1300: Faculty of Economics and Business, KU Leuven, Belgium